Author Topic: Offer: "The Yanks are coming"  (Read 3052 times)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Offer: "The Yanks are coming"
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I live in Warkworth which was home to around 500,000 American troops during WWll. Our local museum has a wealth of information on the "Friendly Occupation" and as a member of the volounteer staff there I would be more than happy to try and help anyone who has research in this area.

Regards

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Esther

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "The Yanks are coming"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have just been reading the book entitled 'The Yanks are Coming' by Harry Bioletti as I am trying to find some record of an American serviceman who was stationed in NZ in 1943/44. I was unaware that the Warkworth Museum had a lot of info.

I'm looking for a man named Harold or Harry Preston but as I have found very little record of him to date, I'm beginning to wonder if he did in fact go by his middle name. Does the museum hold a collection of photos? I live in Auckland and will take a trip up now that I know about your information.

Thanks,
Esther

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Esther, sorry I have only just picked up your post otherwise I would have responded earlier but have been away from internet access since Sunday.

I have not been able to personally view the material they have but do know that it is extensive, Harry actually lives in Auckland and it may well be worthwhile contacting him.
If you are intending to come up to the musuem then I would suggest you try and make your trip on a Wednesday as that is the day the archivists are "in Residence" so to speak. It's our weekly working day when all the heads of department are on site and most of the work gets done then.

If you are not able to make it on a Wednesday then let me know what day/s would suit and I'll see if I can arrange for someone to come in.

Do you have his unit and what area he was stationed in during his time here? We would be able to identify his location from his unit, the is another reference book that may help called "The friendly occupation" that gives that sort of detail
Regards

Alan

Offline Esther

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 May 10 04:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Alan. I will be free to come up to the museum on a Wednesday during the June Uni holidays.
Can you please give me the author of " The Friendly Invasion" as I can't find a record of it anywhere?

Unfortunately I don't have this man's unit details.  All I know for sure is that he was in the greater Auckland area in March 1944 and by what I have read, the 43rd Division was the last division to leave our shores.

Esther

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 10 04:45 BST (UK) »
I think we only have details of the units who were training in the Warkworth area and as mentioned I suspect Harry would be able to give you more detail about the rest of the areas they were based in.

I will check with archives on Wednesday when I go up and see if I can find out what information they do have.  I gather they have quite a large selection of photos' I will be on duty myself on Sunday and if I can find any thing out at that time I will let you know.

If you are able to come up at weekends I could see if one of the archivists could be able to meet you.

Alan

Offline Esther

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan, I will leave it till June as I will probably have a few more questions that need answering by then anyway. If you can give me a rough idea of what the museum holds I would be most grateful.

Have a great day,
Esther