Author Topic: Moran Family at Johnson's Court  (Read 7411 times)

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moran Family at Johnson's Court
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Moran and Kelly families who lived at 5 Johnson's Court from before the 1870s until at least the 1911 Census.  In particular, I am looking for information on my great-grandparents Teresa (Theresa) Moran who married William Kelly on October 12, 1873 at St. Andrew's RC Church (this address is listed in the church records.)  I am also looking for information regarding my grandfather Joseph Patrick Kelly who was born in Dublin in April of 1886.  His mother, father, and sister Teresa all died (unknown dates and causes) and he was sent to live with his uncle's family (Timothy Moran, we think).  My grandfather shows up at 5 Johnson's Court with his Moran cousins in the 1911 Census.

I recently found most of the information we know on the Moran-Kelly family at Irish Genealogy (http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/) in the Parish of St. Andrew's RC Church, Diocese of Dublin.  Can anyone tell me more about this Roman Catholic church?  Is there a cemetery at the church?  Would death records have been kept at the church?  Can anyone suggest how to find out more about my grandfather/great-grandparents and the Moran cousins?

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Moran Family at Johnson's Court
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 09:00 GMT (UK) »
St. Andrews RC church is on Westland row, which is just to the East of Trinity College grounds. Johnson Court is just off Grafton street and about 1km to the west of the church. see google map : St. Andrews, Westland Row to Johnson Court

I dont believe there is a cemetery associated with St. Andrews, and most burials at that time would have been in the Cemeteries outside the city  - e.g. Deans Grange, Glasnevein etc. The Dublin RC registers I've seen dont generally include deaths/burials. Death, Marriages and Birth for after civil registration started (1864) would be available in the Civil records - see 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

p.s. I think I remember a much older post about what could be this family and their business ... I remember the Chimney Sweep connection. Did they have later Booterstown connection ? (I'll try to find the older post..)

I think this is the post I was thinking of - Moran/Grady

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such a quick reply .. and the good information.  The earlier post does appear to be the same family I am looking for.

Cindy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
another post that could be connected : Timothy Moran + Bertha (nee Joyce)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
another post about the Morans (in the Old Photographs section)

chimneysweep

I'm also posting directory details to your Thom's lookup post.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ger655

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
i am looking for information on the Moran/Curry family, my gr gr grandfather Thomas Curry married Mary Anne Moran, Denis Moran and Mary Anne Grady's daughter, if anyone can help i would be grateful.
Thanks, Ger.

Offline Rebeki_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jccollins, Timothy Moran is my great great grandfather, his son James Moran is my great grand father and James' daughter Barbara is my Grandmother. I don't have a lot of info on the family.  I know that Timothy won an award for being the first chimney sweep to stop the use of children going up chimneys, the family had quite a bit of money and a few properties around dublin too.  If you have any info id be grateful if you could pass it on, thanks :)

Offline jccollins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I found marriage/baptism records regarding the Moran and Curry families in the St. Andrew's RC records found at http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/.

Offline ger655

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks jccollins, i have that information, if you have anything on Denis Moran going back further than 1850 it would be great