Author Topic: Is there a Charlwood in Hampshire?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Is there a Charlwood in Hampshire?
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I believe there may be a hamlet called Charlwood in Hampshire (I know, of course, of the Charlwood in Surrey). I've tried several Google search permutations, without success.
If anyone is able to help, I'd be most grateful
Ian

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Charlwood in Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »

There is one just south of Four Marks

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=467500&y=131500&z=120&sv=charlwood&st=3&tl=Map+of+Charlwood,+Hampshire+[City/Town/Village]&mapp=map.srf

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information and the map. I have an ancestor who was recorded in the 1851 census as having been born in Charlwood Surrey. He is not found in the records, so I wondered if perhaps he might have hailed from another Charlwood. I wonder where the people of Charlwood Hants went to have their children christened ...
Ian

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
East Tisted or Ropley, I would think.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Nell. Do you happen to know if any of the parish records for places close to Charlwood, Hants, are published? This is my first piece of research relating to Hampshire, so I don't yet know my way round the available resources. Gloucestershire, for example, has many of its county's parish records in book form. Anything like that for Hampshire?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Since you don't mention any dates, all I can say is to look at the resources section of the Hampshire board where online transcriptions are listed.  East Tisted baptisms and marriages are included on the IGI, while Ropley is included in the Vital Records.

I've not personally found many Hampshire PRs in book form, except Phillimore's marriages.  These of course are not complete coverage of Hampshire. Vol 1-15 are available on the Genuki site.

Have a look also at Hampshire GS publications.

Who is it you are looking for?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 March 10 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your advice Nell. I think I'm really clutching at straws here. I'm still trying to find the origins of my elusive ancestor Henry Page. On his 1851 death certificate he was said to be 'about 66 years', giving him a birth year circa 1785. His census entry of 1851, however, records his age as 60 and his birthplace as Charlwood Surrey. Henry Page is not found in the baptismal records of Charlwood or any parish close to Charlwood. I began to wonder whether he had given his birthplace as Charlwood and the enumerator had added 'Surrey' ... Henry lived in London from at least 1810, when his first child was christened in Marylebone; in 1841 he lived in Bury Street, Westminster, and in 1851 in Hillingdon. I know from a later legal document that Henry had three brothers - Richard, Charles Robert, and Thomas - the latter was a wine merchant, for a time partner in Gray's Inn Coffee House and Tavern, who died in Greenwich in 1835. Henry Page's wife was Jane Godden, wose origins are as obscure as her husband's. At the moment it seems that I have exhausted my ideas of how to proceed with this research.
Ian