Author Topic: Crawfords Biscuits Edge Lane Liverpool  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Crawfords Biscuits Edge Lane Liverpool
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Did you have anyone who worked here and served during WW1 in the forces.

The company compiled a Roll of honour book.

Thanks to Mark and Martin you can see it now on the war website.

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/crawfords-memorial.html

Great find lads

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Crawfords Biscuits Edge Lane Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 22 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I've got an odd one here. I had seen in other records that my grandfather had worked at a biscuit factory... But minutes ago when the 1921 census was released I looked him up and yes, grandad lived here in Wolverhampton... So I was gobsmacked to see he worked at Crawford's... In Liverpool???? Did many from Wolverhampton work up there??? Seems odd for him to be working so far from home???
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawfords Biscuits Edge Lane Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I've got an odd one here. I had seen in other records that my grandfather had worked at a biscuit factory... But minutes ago when the 1921 census was released I looked him up and yes, grandad lived here in Wolverhampton... So I was gobsmacked to see he worked at Crawford's... In Liverpool???? Did many from Wolverhampton work up there??? Seems odd for him to be working so far from home???

This 1921 census is wonderful, isn't it? You find an entry and end up with lots more questions :-)

What was his actual occupation on the census ? Perhaps he was a 'traveller' employed by Crawfords in Liverpool but working in Wolverhampton visiting shops to get orders? Or maybe there was a factory in Wolverhampton which was owned by Crawfords in Liverpool (so they would be his employer)?

I too found an entry in 1921 for my husband's Grandmother, who did live in Liverpool and worked at the Fairfield Biscuit Factory on Binns Rd/ Edge Lane. I was puzzled as she wasn't with the rest of the family who lived not far from the factory. I eventually discovered her at The Mount, Helsby, Cheshire which was owned by Crawfords and was a holiday home for girls. She and 8 other girls who worked at the factory were on holiday there.

I know that Liverpool archives have a lot of deposits from the company. Search the Archives catalogue for M920 CRA. took me a while to go through it all to find anything relevant but eventually I found  M920 CRA/3/12 which is a female employees address book for 1903-1926. and sent off a research enquiry with details of the names I was looking for.
I got a reply saying he had found entries for both names and said I could either visit or he could digitise them and email them to me (cost was £15, but for me that's a LOT less than travelling to Liverpool)
the archivist has now provided me with entries for both names - which told me that Nin started there just after she left school in 1915, as a 'biscuit wrapper' at a wage of 5/- a week and she worked there till she left to get married in 1925. That's a lot of biscuits wrapped in ten years :-)

There is a catalogue ref M920 CRA/3/13 for male employees address book 1903-1935, though I don't know if it solely covers men who were employed at that site.

Boo