Author Topic: Sir Charles George Smith's family - Durban, Natal  (Read 23109 times)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Charles George Smith's family - Durban, Natal
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi to all, interesting to read this thread as I too am related to the Smith family which is mentioned in a book written by Phyllis Wadsworth William Smith a Natal Settler of 1850. I have a copy of this book so if anybody needs info on the Smith name I have it.Unfortunately it is only accurate up to 1990, Phyllis retired to Howick and I have not heard from her for awhile now.The Smith families all started off at York and then spread out.

Here is the link just to show how most people are connected in some way.William Smith came out on the Haidee in 1850.One of the children was also a William.He married a Sarah Ann Taylor who also came out on the Haidee.They had 10 children!!Number 5 was Matthew Henry Smith b 30/8/1864 and died 29/4/1957 a year before I was born.He married a Annie Ruth (Nancy) Crookes at Sevenoaks Natal.She was born in 1876 and died 7/1/1930 at Smithfield farm Creighton.These were my great grandparents.They had 2 children Annie Maud my gran who married a Daniel Alborough and a son Matthew Arthur (Artie) Smith.Most of the Smith families started off at York which I believe is now a ghost town before moving to other areas.

I am also related to the Alborough family who followed  Bishop Colenso to South Africa arriving in May 1855. The Alboroughs were mainly in Boston,PMB areas etc.I also have a family tree covering most of the people involved. I now live in Brisbane and find it difficult to get family to fill in the gaps however I do have a lot of names on my tree so anyone looking for relatives on this side can contact me.

Lastly on my fathers side his dad William P Austin came to South Africa in 1899 to fight in the Boer war and I have just finished researching that name as well if anybody is interested.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any connection between your Smith family and mine at this stage. Mine all came from Dartmouth, Devon and I have all but one now, sorted. A Great Natalian is the book written about Sir Charles George Smith of Natal and a direct family member has been good enough to share many of the pages with me.

Good Luck!

Offline KZN Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 October 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Faith. 

Derek, unfortunately I dont think it is the same Smith family.

Regards Emma

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 October 10 14:43 BST (UK) »

Derek, in your recent post re SMITH you mentioned William P AUSTIN - I attach a pic of the latter's eldest son, William Reginald Hessett AUSTIN, from Natal Who's Who 1933.
Regards, Mole

Lastly on my fathers side his dad William P Austin came to South Africa in 1899 to fight in the Boer war and I have just finished researching that name as well if anybody is interested.

Regards Derek

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 06:00 BST (UK) »
Faith I am having a nigtmare working out how to send a PM.  What Im wanting to ask for help on is the S.S. Great Britain. My ancestors too moved on to NZ. I have left a post at Great Britain passenger list topic. Cheers KiwiHugh

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 06:50 BST (UK) »
Much background re SS Great Britain on Wikipedia. Also see:

www.theshipslist.com/pictures/Greatbritain.htm

www.coraweb.com.au/shipindex.htm for many links re passenger lists to Australia

Regards, Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mole. Just my luck .Mum listed as Mrs.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 March 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Sir Charles George Smith seems to be missing from 1911
 census in England, in fact he seems to be missing from all of them in England,  his wife, Matilda Filby Smith nee Crowder is shown as "married" but he is nowhere to be seen

I am only interested in this family because there are connections to Bernard Drury Spilman,  he married  daughter  married Hattie Deane nee Crowder

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 March 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Louisa Maud
I'm presently in Salt Lake city Utah USA doing you can guess what! I haven't my full data with me but can drag up a few details from memory.

Briefly, Charles George Smith set off to Durban, Natal, South Africa very early on but married MFC in London (I think!) but back in Natal despite the Crowder family being in Durban, M. left C G Smith and Durban and if my memory is correct was back in England for the ?1891/1901? censuses. She died there 23 Jan 1933. C. G . Smith married again in 1933 to a Frances Elizabeth McGilliveray. Sir Charles George died in Durban Natal  on 24 April 1941. There were no children from either of the marriages.
If you Google him, you can get his life out there as a baron of the original sugar industry etc and his philanthropic life. I have his Obituary which summarises his life. Contact me in a couple of weeks and I am happy to send you a copy.

He left a Will in London and if ever you are able to get there I would love a copy to see how he provided for MFC. I live in New Zealand and will not be in London again - too far. Good luck with the Crowders.

Faith Green