Author Topic: crawford/stephenson.  (Read 2514 times)

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
crawford/stephenson.
« on: Thursday 25 March 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
hi
 can any one help me find any information on my 3x geat grandparents who lived in cowick snaith. robert stephenson was born 1773 in snaith and his wife elinor crawford was born in scotland in abt.1776/1779. i would like to find if he was a groom/stablehand for elinors parents and the date of there marriage and where it took place. also the name of elinors parents if possble. i would be very greatfull for any help with this. i really will appreciate it thank you for reading this message.
  kindest regards..............jean.......... :)

Offline wilki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: crawford/stephenson.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,
I am also descended from Elinor Crawford and Robert Stephenson.  The story you mention about her 'running away' with the groom has persisted in my line also with a few, I think, elaborations.  I have been searching for her marriage to Robert for years without success but this is the first time that Haigh Hall near Wigan has been mentioned.  In later life Robert was a butcher in Snaith and I think that his 'marriage' to Elinor may have been his second which unfortunately does not stack up well with him being a groom at age 15 at Haigh Hall.  My descent from Elinor and Robert is from their daughter Eliza = Charles Bean and so on for 4 generations  There must be some truth in the story, I would be intrigued to know anything more that you know. Thanks. Brian

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
hi brian.
 thank you for the reply to my message, i will send you a pm on here. about them, my best wishes to you.             jean.......

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
The personal message system does not work until newcomers have more posts.   Wilki needs to reply here first to have access to it.
Andrea

Offline wilki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean, I will wait for it.  Brian.

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 June 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
hi brian.
 can you pm. me your email address as you cannot receive my pms yet till you have more posts.
             thanks jean....... :)

Offline wilki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 June 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, my email is

Moderator Comment: The personal message system is there so that we do not have email addresses in posts, to avoid spamming etc.    Click on the green scroll under gemma o's name to access it.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,
I am also descended from Elinor Crawford and Robert Stephenson.  The story you mention about her 'running away' with the groom has persisted in my line also with a few, I think, elaborations.  I have been searching for her marriage to Robert for years without success but this is the first time that Haigh Hall near Wigan has been mentioned.  In later life Robert was a butcher in Snaith and I think that his 'marriage' to Elinor may have been his second which unfortunately does not stack up well with him being a groom at age 15 at Haigh Hall.  My descent from Elinor and Robert is from their daughter Eliza = Charles Bean and so on for 4 generations  There must be some truth in the story, I would be intrigued to know anything more that you know. Thanks. Brian

Hello Jean, Brian and All

The reason for my interest, was a Robert Stephenson* owning a Cottage in Wren Lane, Selby, in 1823, the Occupier was Robert Archer (near to the House and Malt Kiln of my ancestor George Hood). Robert Archer of Wren Lane, Selby was listed as a Bricklayer in the 1800 Directory.

Added
* Stephenson in the 1803 Selby Land Tax was spelt Stevenson, with Rt Archer being Occupier.

Looking further afield:-

Baines 1822 Directory and Gazeteer (from Transcription)
R. M. Stephenson, Schoolmaster, Carlton.
Barbara Stephenson, Vict. Ship. West Cowick.
Robert Stephenson, Butcher, of Snaith.

Robert Stephenson, burial
27th June 1832 Robert Stephenson, late of Chester Courts in this Parish [Drax], Abode Carlton, 68 years, Drax Burial Register.

One in the Will Index of September 1832, Robert Stephenson of Carlton Parish Snaith. (September 1832 Vol. 186, 189)
Not sure if he was the Butcher?

Stephenson at Selby, 1832
Buried 1832:- Moses Stephenson 41 yrs (27th March) and Mary, Wife of Moses Stephenson 44 yrs (27th February), both of Selby, buried at Monk Fryston.
(Moses Stephenson of Selby, Will Index, September 1832, Vol. 186, 189)

Mark

Offline Yorkshire James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 November 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to this I am a four times great grandson of Helen/ Elinor Crawford and Robert Stephenson and one of their great granddaughters, a 2 times great grandmother of mine was named Helen Crawford Bean. Robert and Elinor's daughter was Elizabeth Stephenson, she married Charles Bean and they had a son who they named Alexander who married Susannah Waterhouse and Susannah and Alexander had my great grandmother Annie and her sister Helen Crawford, also a boy Charles.  Whilst doing a quick search the name Alexander crops up in connection to an Alexander Crawford, and it's not a name that comes from any other line of the family, so it seems that the name Alexander could be from Elinor Crawford's family, adding more validity to the rumour. It certainly interesting to say the least.