Author Topic: Who lived at "Oaklands" - Croydon area?  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Jamez

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who lived at "Oaklands" - Croydon area?
« on: Friday 26 March 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I`m trying to find out who lived at a house named "Oaklands" c1865 - c1885. 

There was a correspondence posted in Croydon and addressed to Major Charles Edward Thornton at addresses in Tavistock Road, Westbourne Park, London  and also Clanricarde Gardens, Bayswater, London. 

According to the 1881 Census C. E. Thornton was a retired Major formerly with the 7th Royal Fusiliers.  He was born in London c1825.

It`s possible that the occupier of "Oaklands" was a member of the Thornton family.

Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.

James

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived at "Oaklands" - Croydon area?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 10 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Found an 'Oaklands - Thornton Heath' on the 1881 census

Curtis W Stevenson / Head / Married / 58 / Retired Grocer / Middlesex
Sarah Stevenson / Wife / 50 / Middlesex
Hannah Nash / Servant / Widow / 46 / Cook / Wanboro Wiltshire

and 1871
Curtis W Stevenson / Head / Married / 48 /  Retired Grocer / St Martin in the Fields Middlesex
Sarah Stevenson / Wife / 43 / St Lukes Middlesex
Amelia Chilcott / Servant / 40 / Bloomsbury Middlesex

There may be another Oaklands more in Croydon so will have another look.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 10 15:12 GMT (UK) »
There's also a current address in Caterham called Coulsdon Lodge, Oaklands House, i'm not sure how old the house is but it is now a 10 bedded home for people with learning difficulties.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline Jamez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 March 10 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mark for your quick reply.   

I just have the envelope with the name "Oaklands" printed on the reverse but unfortunately no contents.

I`m not local to the Croydon area so relying very much on the internet to research further.  The Thornton family must have been connected with the Croydon area judging by the place names seen on the maps.

Thanks again for your assistance.

James

Offline dms2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I know this was first posted some time ago, but are you still looking into Oaklands?  Oaklands, 450 London Road, Thornton Heath was the home or a relation of mine, Capt Curtis Stevenson.  He died there in 1894 and him wife in 1913.
Researching: (Stevenson / London, Leicestershire);  (Johnstone /Clydebank); (Albon/Bedfordshire); (Furby/London); (Harrison/West Yorkshire) (Marshall, Martin / County Down)  (Thompson, Reinhardt, Nelligan, Rothfuss/Kentucky-USA): Mattingley, Metcalf, Senior, Burnley, Hall, Allott, Scholes
Locations: London, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, West Yorkshire, County Down, Kentucky - USA

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi dms2000

According to his profile, James was online a few weeks ago so should reveive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Jamez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello dms2000

Thank you for your recent post.  Yes i`m still very interested in finding out more about Capt Curtis Stevenson as it looks as if he or another member of his family had this illustrated correspondence with Major Thornton.  Whoever it was certainly had an artistic talent and a great imagination. I should say that i am not related to any of these families.  I collect illustrated envelopes and i managed to acquire some of them a few years ago.  Unfortunately there were no letters with the envelopes.  The envelope with `OAKLANDS` printed on the reverse has some pen and ink drawings of characters in military uniforms. It was posted in Croydon on the 11 Feb 1878. Any information you have on the Stevenson family would be much appreciated.

James

Offline dms2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
James,

Curtis Stevenson was my 2nd Great Grand Uncle.  He is buried in Queens Road Cemetery in Croydon, and his grave marker shows him as being a Captain in the 2nd South Middlesex Volunteer Rifle Corps.  There is a window to his memory in Southwark Cathedral which I visited yesterday.  As he is not a direct ancestor, I haven't really spent too much time on him, but I have become a little intrigued! Whilst visiting the cemetery last week, I looked for any traces of Oaklands, however London Road obviously bares no resemblance to what it did in the mid to late 1800's.  There is an Oaklands Avenue, off London Road, which may or may not have been where their house was located.  My family tree has no Thornton connections that I know of. My family tree is on ancestry, if you have access.  The wife was called Sarah and she died at Oaklands in 1913.

I have some photographs of his gravestone and the window, but they appear to be too large to attach to this post.

David Stevenson
Researching: (Stevenson / London, Leicestershire);  (Johnstone /Clydebank); (Albon/Bedfordshire); (Furby/London); (Harrison/West Yorkshire) (Marshall, Martin / County Down)  (Thompson, Reinhardt, Nelligan, Rothfuss/Kentucky-USA): Mattingley, Metcalf, Senior, Burnley, Hall, Allott, Scholes
Locations: London, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, West Yorkshire, County Down, Kentucky - USA

Offline Jamez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
David

Many thanks for the additional information which is very interesting and helpful.  I will attempt to attach an image of three of the envelopes with the pen & ink drawings.  Failing that i could send an e-mail to you direct.

James