Author Topic: Mansfields of Tutbury  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfields of Tutbury
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 December 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
HI Bryan,

I hope you enjoyed a goos Christmas Day.

It's interesting that your family were Chinns. It's not a particularly common name and I have a friend here in Birmingham with the same name.

With regard to the Mansfields, what is puzzling me is the apparent desire on the part of succesive generations to marry at Tutbury when they seemed to live all over the county and as far north as Yorkshire, though the records show that William Mansfield married Sarah Storer at Burton, 12 April 1762. We know that Charles Glover first met Sarah in 1801 whilst visiting Tutbury, which suggests that although the main family home was in Derby, as suggested by the baptisms, William must still have retained interests in Tutbury. Although I can't lay my habds on them at the moment I have discovered several references to earlier generations having maried at Tutbury.

Regards,

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 December 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
IManaged to get a few minutes spare so have been looking through the marriages, and there are a good few in Tutbury, I could send you a list, (would take a little time to transcribe)as an attachment to this forum, let me know if this would be useful.
A notable entry is "Thomas Mansfield, shoemaker b. Tutbury, son of Samuel married 24 1 1847 Sarah Mansfield, furrier of Clerkenwell, dau. of Paul, buttonmaker.   (cousins?)
Thomas and Sarah Mansfield were witnesses at the marriage of Boniface Langley, Tutbury Surgeon, to Maria Ballance daughter of an innkeeper, in May 1839 ( I understand that Langley was succeeded as a local Surgeon by Wolfenden, who was a friend's grandfather - they also owned the Dog and partridge in Tutbury, which is a fine historic Inn, as the Wolfendens came from Ireland, they may have purchased the Inn together with other rather grand property in Tutbury, including two properties in Monk Street.

There are two marriages into my wife's Woolley family, John Woolley to Mary Mansfield in 1851 and earlier, George Woolley to Elizabeth in 1776.

Regarding Chinns in Birmingham, Henry Chinn b.Derby went to the California Inn in Northridge.but Carl Chinn of TV history fame, nor I , could find any other links
Regards
Bryan

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 December 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Bryan,

The information you have there is interesting but is too late in time for me. I am looking for 1600s and early 1700 references. Any form of early list would be useful.

It was Carl to whom I referred earlier.

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 December 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have attached an extract from my Supalist, which shows all entries 1600 /1700s
If you need detaile info, please ask and quote file reference, (e.g.M5, M5A etc.,)
Bryan

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 December 10 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow! What have you done? Have you transcribed the entire list for every family from Tutbury?

Thanks Bryan. This is going to keep me busy for quite a while but it looks set to provide some really useful information. It is almost certain to raise one or two queries so I'll come back to you with them if I may.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 December 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Bryan,

While I work my way through your list perhaps you'd be so kind as to take a look at the small family tree which I worked out months ago and haven't been able to progress any further back to see whether it aligns with anything on your list.

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
NO, not every family, this will lead to others....I have a disc which contains BMD, Census, burials, tirhes apprentices etc., This was done for Tutbury museum,and I obtained a copy from the compiler.
The 1600s to the mid 1950s are on the disc and it is quite comprehensive.
I will work on the tree you sent, and will be in touch later

Bryan

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I have found a reference to Paul Mansfield, s. of Wiliam, victualler at Tutbury....he was apprenticed to Humphrey Shelley, of Birmingham buttonmaker in April 1782
There is also a connection between Tutbury and Birmingham in that Tutbury notes of "ex pats" show 1881 census shows Tutbury born Walter Shelley as a 9 year old in Birmingham, and also George Shelley as a 57 year old in Birmingham.
There are quite a few Shellys and Shelleys recorded at Tutbury.
I have also noted the children of Wm Mansfield and Elizabeth Harlow
Bryan

Offline Gaberston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for offspring of William Mansfield of Derby.
Children all christened at All Saints, Derby

William (1720-
Elizabeth (1721-98) m. Robert Radford
John Mansfield (1723-1803)
Simon Mansfield (1728- )m. Eliz Johnston
Henry Mansfield (1730-

I believe the family were non-jurors

regards

steven