Author Topic: Gale Digital Newspapers  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Maggiemae

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gale Digital Newspapers
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 March 10 07:41 BST (UK) »
I'm not having any luck finding Part 2.

There is no new box on the search page which looks the same as when I last accessed it a few days ago. the complete list appears unchanged to me and there is certainly nothing for Chester & Birkenhead, area's I'm particulary interested in.

When you get to Gales Search Box (where you put in the term you're searching for ) and the date box, there is now a new box underneath which says All papers, Gale Pt 1 or Gale Pt 2, or something similar, so you don't have to go over old ground.  The new papers added seem to be for the regions, Exeter, Truro and Worcester papers have been added and lots more for the North West.  To see a complete list of all the papers and the coverage dates, click on Browse Publications by location, which is just above the search box then click on the little + sign beside each region name.  Have had more of an explore to write this post, and the list of new papers seems extensive - Isle of Man, Channel Isles, Isle of Wight too

Could someone kindly suggest where I'm going wrong, I access Gale at home via membership of our National Library here in Australia, that shouldn't make a difference or should it?

Maggiemae

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 March 10 07:53 BST (UK) »

I'm not having any luck finding Part 2.

Could someone kindly suggest where I'm going wrong, I access Gale at home via membership of our National Library here in Australia, that shouldn't make a difference or should it?

Not sure you are doing anything wrong. I have home access too, through NSW State Library (Australia), and I can't see anything new (yet?).

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Maggiemae

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 March 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Les for your speedy reply.

So it's not just me, perhaps all us Aussie's just have to be patient and wait.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 March 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
I looked yesterday and its very obvious, you sign in and go straight to the search page and there it is, just click on the last line to search part 2.

I'm wondering if they are phasing it in so there isn't a sudden rush of searches which could bring the server to a halt.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 March 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
There are three search options - collection 1, collection 2 and no selection. Presumably the no selection option (the default) searches both collections.  Makes sense, I can now search collection 2 without getting all the hits I have already found in collection 1.

However, still no Berkshire papers - roll on collection 3.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
I looked yesterday and its very obvious, you sign in and go straight to the search page and there it is, just click on the last line to search part 2.

I get the exact same screen as you supplied, however, that is, exact EXCEPT for the words "Part 2".

Hopefully, it will get "down here" soon?

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
there is certainly nothing for Chester & Birkenhead, area's I'm particulary interested in.

Its on page three well 3 clicks to the right :)
After you have clicked on part 2 then click brows by pulication

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Oops, stand corrected. I only get a similar box when I choose 1600-1900 search i.e. both newspapers search.

If I only choose the 19th Century newspaper search, there is no similar box at all - if you can understand that  ???

Les

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
How do you mean
when I choose 1600-1900 search i.e.

whats that :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~