Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32634 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
William Quigley married Margaret Ann Moody 31 Dec 1866 in Londonderry Civil Registrars Office. It seems to have been a mixed marriage.

From Magilligan R.C. records :
Sarah baptised 26th Jan 1867  Father Wm Quigley and mother Mary A Moody , Margymonaghan. Witnesses Mrs George Quigley and Edwin McCallion
John baptised 9th May 1869  Same parents
Robert baptised ????  Same parents (a note next to this entry in the records Robert Q married to Mary McGurk 13th Jan 1920) 

Margaret Ann shows up in a  Magilligan Pres Church visiting book 5th May 1920 as Margaret Ann (Moody) Quigley and was visited on a number of occasions by the minister. Last entry was Fri 16/5/24. 
The Quigley family was living at Margymonaghan  in the 1911 Census . Margaret Ann’s religion listed as Presbyterian.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyclamen,

AND THE PLOT THICKENS.

I checked the Marriage License, and I noticed that Margaret Ann's father was named John Moody. Margaret Anne Married 31st Dec 1866 Age 22 Born likely 1844. Did John Moody that married Margaret Pherson have a daughter, after William was born in 1842?. If that is the case, Margaret Ann would have been Williams sister. My GG Grandfather
I recall visiting a Quigley family in Coleraine in the late 40's or early 50's. I think  the daughter or granddaughter was called Maureen.

Thanks Cyclamen
Green Oak

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What was the legal age for two people marrying in the 1800's?.
If they married without the consent of their parents, what age would they have to be?

Thank you
Green Oak.

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 20 May 10 00:28 BST (UK) »

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to acquire the Magilligan Presbyterian Records online in Canada. I did email Proni and they have not responded as of today.
Thanks Green oak.

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 25 September 10 06:17 BST (UK) »

The marriage certificate that I downloaded from the Irish Family history site of my Grt Grandfather James Moody, married Mary Mccolgan

27th July 1890 in Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland Magilligan.

On his marriage certificate it states his father as William. I cannot find a marriage or death date for William, nor a birth date  for James.

I am hoping that someone will help to verify the name William on the original Marriage Certificate from the Church of Ireland records.

Maybe they transposed the wrong first name.  The William that appears on the marriage certificate to be the father was born 5th of May

1842 in Lenamore Magilligan( Presbyterian).  William appears on the Griffiths Valuation records 1862/1897

In the 1901 Census it shows my Grandfather James (born 1892 Lenamore to James and Mary) with a father James living in Drumavally.

My Grandfather aged 8 and James as the father aged 66. James would have been born in 1833 and a brother to William born 1842.

The James on the 1901 census showing as aged 66 his fathers name was John. I'm hoping there was an error with the age on the census.

I hope it's not too confusing.

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 01 October 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
i live in lenamore house in the townland of lenamore. my family has farmed here since the late 18th century the moodys farm was situated at the top of our lane. we have rented mrs moodys field for the last 40 years. lenamore townland is on the right hand side of the road as you pass the spar in magilligan haeding towards limavady. the old moodys farm in the first house down a concrete lane on the right before you come to the estate of carrige court and drumavalley.       

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 02 October 10 02:04 BST (UK) »

Hi stmccmagilligan,

Thank you so very much for this information. I live in Canada and I visited Magilligan Presbyterian Church Cemetery last year. I thought all I had to do was nip into the Cemetery and copy down all the names and dates on the headstones, and lo and behold our family was too poor to have headstones. I wish I had known at that time, that my ancestors had lived in Lenamore. I regret not knowing this. All I knew was that my Grandfather came from Magilligan. I have learned so much about my family from cyclamen, Aghadowey, and Kingskerswell all from Roots chat.com (Thank you)

I guess our families have been neighbours for the last 300+ years it's amazing. You said that Mrs Moody rented out her farm to you for the last 40 years. Are there still a few Moody's living in Lenamore? I've been trying to find information on William Moody born 1842, I think he was my Grt Grt Grandfather. Do you know where the Moody's would have been buried in the early 1800's & 1900's?.

I'm looking at Griffiths Valuation 1847-1864 it has Solomon Moody #4a, William#6, John #8, and James #9 stmccmagilligan would it be possible to ask someone in the Moody family from which brother they descend from.

stmccmagilligan I think you have to post on here 3 time before you can email me privately, I would love to hear from you all about Lenamore and it's people.

Thank you
 Green Oak

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 04 October 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Your family farm is still there on my lane. it is now owned by * and *. they have 3 fields which we rent and then the other * which i was talking about owns the upper field at the top of the lane. this * is in a old peoples home and the last of the *. * have twin boys one of which has married and built a bunglow beside his fathers small farm.
   in the census reports in 1901 and 1911 they were presbyterians however this family is now catholic do you no how come. i will go up and have a chat with them. 

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 04 October 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
drumavally is a townland next door to lenamore, the shucks and drains form the different borders. they run in lines down to the lough. there was a shuck which went down the side of our lane which was the border, this shuck is no longer there, opposite the old moodys farm another smaller farm house used to stand. this was a ruin when i was we and is now two modern bunglows. this was also moodys and the field behind was give at one point and is still the catholic churches.