Author Topic: Would love someone to date this photo! *completed*  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would love someone to date this photo! *completed*
« on: Monday 29 March 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Would love to know if anyone can give me an approximate date when this photo would've been taken, so that I might then be able to make a better guess at identifying the family. Many thanks!

(Restoration not needed)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Would love someone to date this photo!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the date will be approximate.The cardstock is an 1890's design & seen also early 1900's,however the oldest girl is in a style from the 1880's.the woman would offer the best dating clue but she's covered in a cape but her hairstyle is also 1880's/90's.The chaps are dressed formally so don't offer much.On balance I would suggest early 1890's & what appears to be a wedding photo so a second marriage perhaps.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
(I'll bet someone wants to have a go at restoring this lovely photo !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the date will be approximate.The cardstock is an 1890's design & seen also early 1900's,however the oldest girl is in a style from the 1880's.the woman would offer the best dating clue but she's covered in a cape but her hairstyle is also 1880's/90's.The chaps are dressed formally so don't offer much.On balance I would suggest early 1890's & what appears to be a wedding photo so a second marriage perhaps.

jim

Thanks for this, Jim! Interesting you mention a second marriage, this might well fit, as I have an ancestor remarrying in 1899. She would've been 49, what do you think? I'd be interested to hear why you think it would be a wedding photo. On a closer look, I'm guessing that the young man and woman on the left are her kids, and the rest are his. Looks like I'll have to do some investigation into her 2nd husband, see if this fits...  The wedding was registered in the Croydon district, but the photographer is from Hackney - would this be unusual?

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
(I'll bet someone wants to have a go at restoring this lovely photo !)

Of course, if anyone feels they would love to have a go at restoring this, please do! I only thought I might have a go myself at some stage... although perhaps this might be one of those ideas that never reaches fruition :)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
If you took the oldest girl out of this it could be anywhere in the 90's.If this was 1899 she would be 10 years out of date & I can't see a girl of her age wearing this.1890 saw a sea change in women's fashion with women following the style of Princess Alexandria.Skirts became plain & close fitting worn with a seperate blouse or bodice.
Thr man is dressed in a frock coat & cravat only seen on formal occasions at this time.Both are wearing corsages & she also a veil.
The 2 girls on the right are dressed identically & although not that unusual would suggest they are sisters,so he has 4 children & she has 3.
They may not be family as people did give these to friends.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
you've given me a headache with this.I can't find anything on this photographer at this address,however I have found this studio which was owned by Thompson Fisher who had it from 1891-1904 when he died.So this can't be 1899 or early 1890's.has to be before or after these dates.So did Hinton have this after 1904 as the cardstock isn't 1880's or this a reprint of an earlier photo copied after 1904...still looking.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
you've given me a headache with this.I can't find anything on this photographer at this address,however I have found this studio which was owned by Thompson Fisher who had it from 1891-1904 when he died.So this can't be 1899 or early 1890's.has to be before or after these dates.So did Hinton have this after 1904 as the cardstock isn't 1880's or this a reprint of an earlier photo copied after 1904...still looking.

jim

Hi Jim

Many thanks for all your info, and analysis of the clothing, much appreciated!

Very interesting about the studio. I found one random reference on the net to a London street directory of 1921, which lists "54 Hinton Wm Ernest, photographer", so I would presume he's either at the studio after Thompson Fisher, or perhaps they both operated from the same address?

I found 4 references to William Hinton & Co on victorianphotographers.co.uk, although it's all pay per view... wondering if this might be worth a shot?

Considering your idea that this might be a reprint of an earlier photo - there isn't a number written in on the back of the photo, would this be unusual, do you know?

Still trying to find a group of rellies that might fit the evidence this end... I can match your headache! Would be most interested to hear if you find any more out.

Kate

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
There were 3 Hinton Photographers in London at the time,all related as I believe this one is.54 Mare St. doesn't appear in 1911 which means it was uninhabited ie. a shop.Our boy doesn't appear in the 1908 London Trades & PO directory so a bit of a mystery but we do know he traded after 1903 probably buying the business from the Thompson Fisher estate.
As all the indicators in your picture point to an 1880's date I would have to conclude this is a marriage from that time reprinted early 1900's.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.