Author Topic: 1901 Census Lookup Please  (Read 1874 times)

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census Lookup Please
« on: Monday 29 March 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandmother Harriet Adella Lowry was apparantly living at 64 Tyne Street, North Shields on 7th April 1901.  I believe the 1901 census was taken on 31st March 1901, but I can't find this address in the 1901 census on either ancestry or FindMyPast.  I would like to know who she was living with, so if someone else can find it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Victoria
North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Try Tynemouth Road,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have just checked Tynemouth Road and there is no number 64 !  In fact, there were more entries under Tyne Street but unfortunately no number 64 !

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Is the Tyne Street address from a marriage certificate?

Do you have details of when/where Harriet was born as this may help to locate her?

Do you have her on other census records?

I have found some Lowry family in N Sheilds on the 1901, but not Harriet - still looking!

Angela

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
The Tyne Street address is from a marriage certificate.  Details are:
Harriet Adella Lowry (19) m Robinson Dunn (22)
St Peters Church, Low Town, Tynemouth
7th April 1901
Her address was 64 Tyne Street, North Shields.

She was born in Glasgow on 18th March 1883.  Her parents were William Lowry (Irish) and Eliza Lowry (formerly Taws) from North Shields.

Harriet actually married my great grandfather in 1916, but I am unable to pick up William Lowry on the census's and can find Eliza and Harriet on the 1891 census living in Hedworth, Monkton and Jarrow but not on the 1901 census at all.  I also know Harriet was living in Bedford Street, Tynemouth in 1903 (childs birth certificate).

Basically, I can't find death records for Eliza or William so am trying to narrow it down to see if they were alive on the 1901 census. I just received the above marriage certificate where it says William was dead, however the latter marriage certificate (to my great grandfather) doesn't mention that at all !!

I thought getting the first marriage certificate would be useful as it will give me an address of where Harriet was living in 1901 and then I can see if Eliza is there too - however can't find the address on the census !

Any help would be greatfully received !!

Thanks
Victoria

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional info - perhaps it may help.

I checked the descriptions of enumeration districts for N Shields. Tyne Street was only mentioned for district 1. I have been through all 42 images of this district and can't find number 64 either. This street has the strangest numbering system I have ever seen!

N Sheilds>Dist 1>Image 1  Tyne Street begins at No 35 and on subsequent pages the numbers increase. A few pages later we have 44 1/2, 45, 45 1/4, 45 1/2. Very strange! I have never seen halves and quarters in addresses before!!

Tyne Street then disappears until the last few images in this set and on image no 37 we see number 46 at last and the numbers begin to go upwards again . . . 56, 57, 58, 59, 65, 66. No sign at all of numbers 60 to 64.  ???

No wonder you are confused Victoria!

However I did find a family on image no 21 at 35 Liddell Street who may be connected. There's a family transcribed as Lowney, but the original looks like Lowrey to me - perhaps worth checking this one if you haven't already seen them.

Michael Lowney, age 27, born N Shields
Wife Mary, born Scotland
Father: Michael Lowney, age 74, born Ireland

Perhaps Michael Senior and William Lowry/Lowrey/Lowney are brothers! Also interesting that wife Mary is from Scotland, as you know Harriet Adela was born there too, so you know your family lived there at one time.

I hope there is something here that helps.
Good luck

Angela

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
However I did find a family on image no 21 at 35 Liddell Street who may be connected. There's a family transcribed as Lowney, but the original looks like Lowrey to me - perhaps worth checking this one if you haven't already seen them.

Michael Lowney, age 27, born N Shields
Wife Mary, born Scotland
Father: Michael Lowney, age 74, born Ireland

I have checked out Michael Lowney myself and this could be the correct surname for him, though when I found a census with a Michael Lowney, his father was Matthew from Ireland, not Michael!

Angela

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela, thanks for spending some time on this for me, it's good to know it isn't just me!!! I wonder if they missed some houses off. I have checked families either side e.g 65 but it's not them!!  I don't think that the lowney family are ours, at least I havn't found a connection to eliza and William. All connections to William so far have been in glasgow

Thanks for looking for me though!

Victoria

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
64 Tyne St. North Shields, 1901 census, RG13/4802/38/9.

Eskdale family, includes a niece, Harriett Eskdale, age 18, b. Scotland.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins