Author Topic: Benjamin Poole  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Poole
« on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
:) Has anybody come across a  Benjamin Poole in the Montgomreyshire/Shropshire borders? He was about at the turn  century  i.e. 1800.  His son was born in Meifod in 1806 and was also called Benjamin. In the Parish Records the father is described as a butcher. I was also wondering if butchers in those days traveled from farm to farm?
I have hit a brick wall here and would be very grateful for any information.
Lleucu

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Poole
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
I have some Pooles in Llandrinio, going back to Richard Poole (d. 1730) and his wife Joyce, who was married twice more, first to Humphrey Sexton and then to Thomas Pritchard in 1760.

There are quite a few Pooles in Llandrinio and Llandysilio, as well as in Llanfylin, where you will find Foulke Poole living in the 1500s.

Have you not got any info on where the elder was born from the census?

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Also springing to mind is Daniel Poole who was headmaster of Oswestry School. I think there might have been an Benjamin Poole mentioned in his will which can be viewed online at the Nat. Lib. of Wales.

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your kind suggestions. I have not been able to find the elder Benjamin on a census - he may have died before 1841. I do have his son on the 1841  census, he was in the parish of Guilsfield and his eldest child's birthplace was stated as Oswestry. So I think I will have a look at Daniel Poole's will as you suggested.
Please let me know if any other ideas come to mind.May I inquire about your interest in the Pooles - I would be interested to hear of your searches.

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
I just found this on Access to Archives:

448/593  11 March 1795

Contents:
The will of Benjamin Pool of Rowton in the parish of Alberbury Salop gentelman. His wife Margaret Pool is provided for by settlement made on her marriage and he also bequeathes her all the household goods, linen, and furniture which shall be at the time of his decease in the best parlour and the room over it in his house at Rowton 2. To his nephew John Davies of Bishop's Castle, an annuity or rent charge or sum of £15 of a messuage called Glynn in the parish of Alberbury, Salop upon trust that as soon as possible after his (Pool) death he shall sell it and with the money pay unto Richard Pool second son, the sum £100 with the remainder to be paid to the executor - the receipt of John Davies to be a sufficient discharge in law to the purchasers of the annuity and that the purchasers shall not be accountable for the loss or misapplication of the purchase money. 3. To his son John Pool and his daughter Maria Pool the sum each of £200 over and above the £50 which was left them by their Grandfather and grandmother Benjamin and Ann Pool. 4. To his daughter Sarah Pool £250 these legacies of £200 and £250 to be paid on their reaching the age of 24. The interest meanwhile to be applied to their education; if they die unmarried before that age their share is to be divided between the survivors. No interest to be paid on the sum of £50 due to John and Maria Pool as he has already expended more than that amount on their maintenance and education. 5. Stock in trade, mortgage, bonds, notes etc. unto the two sons Benjamin and Richard Pool to be shared. He constitutes Benjamin and Richard Pool his executors. He expressly orders that if any dispute shall occur then no suit in Equity shall be started but that the dispute shall be referred to his friend and nephew John Davies and what he shall order shall be binding. He advises his elder son to take the farm he holds at Rowton and Richard to take the farm at Trefnant.
All previous will revoked.
Witnesses: John Purslow Talbot, Salop, Thos. Reynolds Sadler, Salop, Robert Roberts, servant to Mr. J. Davies.

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
I'm really impressed by your find - not just one Benjamin but two!! They sound an interesting family don't they.
It doesn't sound as though the brothers got on too well if he's expecting disputes. Do you know anything about the area that is mentioned - Rowton. Am I right in thinking that Alberbury is half Welsh and half English,
so as to speak. That would make  a very interesting mix of people. Thanks very much for steering me in this direction. Does this help in your own research?
Once again, thanks for your time and efforts, I really do appreciate your help.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Came across a family of Pooles circa 1500. He was the Constable of Harlech Castle. There were thus many Pooles over the the next few generations in Merioneth. I read this info in a little known book on Genealogical tables of families from Mer/Caernarvon/Montgomery. If you're still interested I'll look it up.
A J

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi AJ,
Many thanks for your message - very interesting! I seem to remember reading somewhere about a connection with Mongomerey Castle too so they must have got around a bit. The book you mention sounds
as though it could be worth looking into. Where  did you come across it? Is it generally available ? I would be interested to hear more.
Have you an interest in the Poole's yourself? I'm finding it difficult to bridge the gap between 1806 and 1839 and wonder if there is a link with the Buttington/Trewern area but how to explore this further is a challenge.
The census is such a boon  to later searches isn't it.
I look forward to hearing more from you.
Lleucu

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
@jajones I would also be interested in a lookup from the aforementioned book.