Author Topic: Tailor Records Online  (Read 1900 times)

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tailor Records Online
« on: Tuesday 30 March 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out more about one of my ancestors who came from Germany and was a tailor.

The first record I have is his marriage in Banbury 1859 where his name is Charles Mitcheall, age 29, occupation tailor

His son was born in Banbury in 1860 and his name is given as Charles Mitchell, occupation a tailor journeyman.

In the 1861 census living in Banbury his name is Charles Michael age 32 occupation tailor and birthplace Germany.

His daughter was born in Chiswick in 1862 and his name is given as Charles Mitchell, occupation tailor (master).

His son was born in Chiswick in 1864 and his name is given as Charles Mishell, occupation tailor (journeyman).

His son was born in Chiswick in 1866 and his name is given as Charles Mithell, occupation tailor (master).

His son was born in Chiswick in 1870 and his name is given as Karl Mithell, occupation taylor.

In the 1871 census living in Chiswick his name is Karl Mitchell age 42 occupation tailor and birthplace Germany, Birstein.

In the 1881 census living in Chiswick his name is Karl Mitchele age 53 occupation tailor and birthplace Germany. (The enumerator appears to have written BS by the side of this - I am guessing for British Subject)

He died in 1886 aged 62 named Carl Mitchell and occupation Tailor of Chiswick.

Are there any records of tailors on line or anything else that would give more information about him?
(It seems unusual for a tailor to come over from Germany and live in Banbury)

Any help much appreciated.

Mark
Bowles, Burgess, Chinn, Cooling/Cullen, Harrison, Jarvis/Jervis, Lawrence, Mitchell, Orme, Parsons, Sutton

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tailor Records Online
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit late to the party, but have found this to be a fascinating thread.

My grandfather, Maurice William JAMES Buxey was a tailor in Titchfield, Hants.  He apprenticed/taught his wife Olive Grace Buxey nee Taulbut to become a tailor.

According to my late father, he can recall seeing his father sitting cross legged on the family's table drawn up to a bay window.  My grandparents main business was making suits, and it was long hours when there was a funeral.  Apparently my grandmother was noted for her hand sewn buttonholes.  Once Burton ready made suits came into production, my grandfather saw that he had to change his trade and became a builders' hauler/contractor with burgundy and gold signwriting on the door.

I have a beeswax cube which I believe belonged to my grandparents.  This would have been used to  run thread against it to stiffen it for threading.

If anyone knows anything of a Portsmouth tailor who apprenticed boys in the early 1900s, I would love some information.  All I have is that as young orphan boy of 14, my grandfather was sent to work for a Mr Murray in Portsmouth along with other boys who were possibly orphans too.  It was a very tough life and I think the tailor or orphanage was in Pretoria Street.

After Christmas I will take a look to see if there are any trade directories and then see what I can find in the upcoming release of the 1921 Census.
Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 21 11:46 GMT (UK) »
All I have is that as young orphan boy of 14, my grandfather was sent to work for a Mr Murray in Portsmouth along with other boys who were possibly orphans too.  It was a very tough life and I think the tailor or orphanage was in Pretoria Street

Might that be Victoria rather than Pretoria? There was a John Murray who had a boys' boarding school at 10 Victoria Road North, Southsea circa 1911. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Maurice's brother Thomas joined the army in 1900 and the following addresses are given for his NoK brother "James":

Portsea Island Union
then
36 Pretoria Road
then
Pleasant House, Caper(?) Romsey, Hants
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
SeanJ, thanks for your research.

Yes, I saw the NoK given as James Buxey on Thomas Buxey's army record and the addresses.  James certainly moved (got shunted) around after his parents died. I'll investigate those other addresses though.

As my grandfather only saw his brother possibly only once after he left home to join the Royal Worcs Rifles as a musician they may not have been up to date with change of addresses.

Thanks again.
Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany