Author Topic: Advice please re. Canadian Marriages  (Read 5365 times)

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please re. Canadian Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Valeriec,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I am trying to find proof that William belongs to my family in England.  I've lost a William Chapman Methodist Minister and Canada seems to have acquired one, both born the same time.  As his death record doesn't give much information I was hoping to find a marriage certificate with his father's name, but as has been explained to me there won't be one.

I'll keep looking at records to try and find more information.

Lyn

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 April 10 04:20 BST (UK) »
ah, Lyn, next time just feel free to add the extra information to the thread ( ie: looking for your William first and formost to see if right person) Now did you already find that the one in Canada was a minister as well, or am I reading that incorrectly?  ;D ...Well I'm reading it correctly , but was that what you meant to say?
Was there an age for your William?  J.J.

Nevermind I see him in 1881 and he is born England
 Willm. CHAPMAN b. 1815 England Clergyman/ Methodist
 Jane CHAPMAN born 1826 Ireland
 John H / Jane O /Mary E / Dinah L
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e329/e008200854.jpg

In 1861 Warwick, Lambton  it says he was born 1820 England  http://search.labs.familysearch.org

but says 1815 in 1891
 http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=2020004

If you tell us the name of the parents, I imagine a death record might be found that has the parents listed...oops, I read again & see that you already found the record... ...when did he die?

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 10 05:46 BST (UK) »
There is this fabulous resource? but you seem to have it judging by the areas you've stated..
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cancmhs/a-c.htm
CHAPMAN, William was born in 1815 in England and was received on trial in 1846, 1846 Bonchiere, ( must be Bonchere / Bonnechere /  Bonne Chere mission / Renfrew) 1847 Richmond, 1848 Mississippi, 1849 Matilda, 1850-1851 Shannonville, 1852-1853 Farmersville, 1854 Port Dover (Norfolk Co.), 1855-1856 Gosfield/Woodhouse (Talbot), 1857-1858 Amherstburg, 1859-1860 Warwick, 1861-1862 Devonshire, 1863 Exeter, 1864 Tuckersmith (Huron Co.), 1865-1866 Aylmer C.W., 1867 Rondeau, 1868 Ridgetown, 1871 Camden East, 1871 Howard (Bothwell), 1871 Clarke (Durham), 1871 Orford (Kent Co.)

William Chapman, Wesleyan minister,  Aylmer
http://www.elginogs.ca/vitals/elginmarriages1853to1873.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 April 10 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi J J

Thank you very much for the information.   Yes, that's the William I've been looking at.  I have his death from A.....y as 1898 but no parents are listed.  I know who my William's parents are so just looking to find out who the parents are, or at least the father's name, of the William Chapman in Canada to make a match.

Lyn

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know where he is buried, maybe a headstone might have some information?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 April 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
I figured he was gone before the 1901...Although he may have come alone, have you checked to see if he came with brothers or sisters, by looking for their marriages, deaths etc. in Ontario, or are his siblings /parents all accounted for in U.K. ?

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately his headstone doesn't give any information on his family.  The rest of the family in England are accounted for except for William, hence why I think it likely he's the one in Canada but am struggling to find proof to tie the two together and obviously can't just go on assumption.

Lyn

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
This won't give you definite proof of his relationship but if you know the names of his children and some match the names of his brothers/sisters/parents, he may be your William. A lot of people used a naming pattern to name their children. If the names seem to fit I would look more into that. Also you have looked for most documents that would exist and the headstone, so I think I would try for books written in that era that may be held by local societies. Also he was a methodist minister, there could be records that could prove he was sent from England to Canada by the church. I would look for old Methodist church records to see if there is anything to connect him to your family.

Good luck.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the publication from which the earlier lists were transribed,  ( although this one goes to '74) William on page 77....and in more searches
http://books.google.ca/books?id=s8QRAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

also adds R. F. C. & O. to the first Shannonville posting

There seems to be more on him, or perhaps it is all the reverse, ie: repeated as locations with the names of Clergy...

Have you checked to see if there are any records left from his probation at Bonchere / Bonne Chere Mission?
http://www.united-church.ca/communications/news/releases/071025