Author Topic: Colligan - Kings County?  (Read 16028 times)

Offline lenlo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colligan - Kings County?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 June 11 06:39 BST (UK) »
Cloughjordan is nowhere near Dublin City - so it looks like some details have been mixed up. That baptism definitely took place in Dublin.

The RC records for the parish of Cloughjordan only go back to about 1833, so if your John was born in that parish unfortunately there will be no record of it.

Shane

Offline lenlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 June 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather, John Colligan, was born c 1804 in Gillan Parish, Kings County/ Offaly. This has been deduced from his British Army records.
He enlisted as a Private in the 13th Regiment at Athlone on 10 June 1825, aged 21, transferring to the 30th Regiment on 26 Sept 1828.
He was in Bermuda for 11 months with his regiment in 1841. It was here my ggrandfather, also John Colligan, was born in 1841...army record found!
John, the father, was also in North America (probably New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) before he was medically retired at the age of 42 in Dublin on 29 June 1846 on a pension of one shilling a day. This pension was still being paid in NSW, Australia between 1876 and 1880.
According to the 1881 NSW Australian death certificate for John, the son, his mother was an Honora Cox but I can find no record of a Colligan/Cox marriage in Ireland or elsewhere. I wouldn't think a Private would take his wife to Bermuda so was she from Bermuda? or did army wives accompany husbands? ANY RECORDS OF MARRIAGES IN KING'S COUNTY FOR 1820-1840? When John, the father, retired from the army he indicated he would be residing in Cloghan, Kings County. His occupation prior to joining the army had been "labourer". He was obviously returning to the parish of his birth.
John, the son's death certificate indicates he arrived in Australia c 1847, presumably with a parent or two, but no migration records found.To date, no death certificate found for John, the father, or an Honnor Colligan.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 February 14 04:25 GMT (UK) »
My gg grandfather, John Colligan, was born c 1804 in Gillan Parish, Kings County/ Offaly. This has been deduced from his British Army records.

According to the 1881 NSW Australian death certificate for John, the son, his mother was an Honora Cox but I can find no record of a Colligan/Cox marriage in Ireland or elsewhere.

Not sure if you are aware that Honnor can also be Nora, Hanora, Honora, Norah, Honor. Also Cox can be Cocks, Cooks etc 

I have looked on Griffiths valuation - this site http://www.failteromhat.com/
You are able to look up partial names and in Offaly there are
Colligan - several in many places in Offaly and
Collegan james in Lissaniskea.
Collogan james to rented land to a family Leake in Birr
Worth looking at if you have not followed these up before.

Also on this site there are about ten names for Cox in Offaly Kilbride parish.

Another site to look at GV is http://www.askaboutireland.ie/

A couple of tips for looking at these names  not just looking for the spelling as we know now as spelling changed over the years
try searching with all the vowels...collig,colle,colla, collo etc
often 'gan' endings became 'ghan' or even 'han' eg Callagan/Callaghan/Callahan all same family in connections to my tree.

You may have find all these records since 2011!

Have you looked in Australian newspaper records on Trove?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 February 14 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Cloughjordan is nowhere near Dublin City - so it looks like some details have been mixed up. That baptism definitely took place in Dublin.

The RC records for the parish of Cloughjordan only go back to about 1833, so if your John was born in that parish unfortunately there will be no record of it.

Shane

There is a SS Michael's and John's Roman Catholic Church in Cloughjordan -  Moneygall Road, Cloughjordan, Tipperary North. Current church was built in late 1890s but the earlier records may give you important clues as to other family connections so I would not give up on searching this church in Cloughjordan.