Author Topic: Archibalds in Tillicoultry  (Read 2539 times)

Offline wrightt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibalds in Tillicoultry
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
My g-grandfather, Robert Archibald, lived on Hill St in Tillicoultry in 1881, and emigrated with his wife and 6 children to the US in 1885. His occupation listed on the census is 'Pattern Designer', related, I assume, to the textile industry. My wife and I are making our first visit to Scotland in May and will spend 2 days in Tillicoultry. What resources are available there for me to do further research on my family? I would also like to see (and perhaps copy) photographs of the town as it was at the time they lived there.
After reading so much about Tillicoultry I am really excited to finally be able to visit.
Archibald, Smeaton, Nicol, Culbertson, Kirk, McDougall, Ewan, Currlie, Drummond, Fleeming, Reid, Dawson, Crawford, Johnstone, Shiels in Tillicoultry, Tullibody, Alloa, Stirling, Crieff, Perth, Kinross, Falkirk

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archibalds in Tillicoultry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
This might give you the information you are looking for:
http://www.chalmers-family.org/genuki/CLK/#Genealogy
It is the Genuki site for Clackmannanshire and you will find Tillicoultry mentioned under 'towns and parishes'.
I hope you enjoy your visit. It is always a big thrill to walk in the footsteps of ancestors.
Best wishes.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline wrightt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I've also found some really helpful information at ScotlandsPeople. The death records in Tillicoultry are absolute gems - they even include the parents names, with mother's maiden name. What a goldmine!
Archibald, Smeaton, Nicol, Culbertson, Kirk, McDougall, Ewan, Currlie, Drummond, Fleeming, Reid, Dawson, Crawford, Johnstone, Shiels in Tillicoultry, Tullibody, Alloa, Stirling, Crieff, Perth, Kinross, Falkirk

Offline wrightt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:38 BST (UK) »
There is even a 'street view' of Tillicoultry on Google Maps. Now I can drive around the town before I even get there.  It looks like there has been quite a bit of 'urban renewal' since my grandmother's family lived there, but I'm sure that there are parts of the town that remain. It would be nice to find a site with a good store of historical photos.