Author Topic: Leach Family  (Read 8101 times)

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Leach Family
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone researching Leach family in Gloucestershire? Most of My Leach's are from Gloucestershire.  At the turn of the last centruy they were in the Quedgeley, Hardwick, Longney etc areas.

I have for some time (only when I have five mins lol) been trying to find the supposed connection between my Leach family and that of hollywood actor Cary Grant (Archibald Alexander Leach).  It is a story I have been told since day dot and this 'connection' has in the past been reported in the the Citizen Newspaper.  Leslie Leach, who has now unfortunately passed away, and his son Tony were featured with their family - 5 generations in total - Tony talked about the connection to Cary stating that Cary Grant was the son of my grandfathers brother.  It also states that in his later years Cary used to return to the UK to visit Anna Vaughan, Leslie's sister at Uley.  I havent been able to find a sister called Anna unless of course this is not the name her birth was registered as.

Now, I know his grandfather to be Thomas Leach born 1857 son of Thomas Leach b. 1834 and Eliza Simmonds b. 1836.  I descend through their son Walter.  Anybody who has look at the ancestry of Cary Grant will know that his father was Elias James Leach b. 1872 son of John Leach b. Frocester abt. 1842 and Elizabeth b. abt. 1847 other than that I can no further back on his line.  Elias and his father John as of yet do not appear on my tree, I have been unable to find the connection to me if there is one and  I am able to trace my direct Leach line back from me to abt. 1695.

Will I ever prove the connection? I think not! (Probably cos there isnt one - it may just be a case of wishful thinking on whoever in mine and Leslie/Tony's family before us started the theory)

Any help or thought appreciated!

Jo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Leach Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Source: Glos Archives
St Nicholas, Hardwicke, Glos, Burials:-
10/12/1815, LEECH, John, 72
25/08/1819, LEECHE, Joseph, 54
23/09/1824, LEACH, Jane, 8
13/09/1825, LEACH, Rachel, 84
24/11/1825, LEACH, Ann, 15
02/11/1831, LEACH, Anne, 53
11/01/1836, LEACH, Edith, 71
22/02/1836, LEECH, William, 75
20/08/1837, LEECH, Hannah, 17
02/04/1843, LEACH, William, 74
15/04/1845, LEACH, Benjamin, 66
05/12/1849, LEECH, Thomas, 3w
27/12/1851, LEACH, Hester, 78
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
I have for some time (only when I have five mins lol) been trying to find the supposed connection between my Leach family and that of hollywood actor Cary Grant (Archibald Alexander Leach).

You're not the only one ....   ;D

Try this topic (it also lists some more):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510834.0.html
there are already some topics here about Cary Grant / Archibald Leach:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,33914.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158805.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158809.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,447691.0.html

Bob

ps: I see you are already contributing to some of the above topics  ;D
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Tony Leach

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo
I was told that Carry Grant was in our family tree also. My grandfather was a Thomas Leach and two of his five brothers were Les and Arthur. Arthur had three sons, Stuart, Michael and Andrew. One of which (I think it was Stuart) was a history teacher who used his position to research the family tree. This is where I heard about the connection to Carry Grant. His tree was quite a comprehensive one which even linked us to Isembard Kingdom Brunel. Unfortunately over the years I have lost touch with that side of the family and all I have inherited is the part of the family tree that relates to my lineage back to 1811. This shows the names of progressive grandfathers and their wives but only numbers for the other family members. I do have a very old family photograph with Les on the front row as a small child and showing two generations older back to Thomas and Charlotte.
If you could track down Stuart or his brothers you may be able to get a look at the full tree that he research and where the connections to CG actaully are.
Regards
Tony

Offline TeresaSmith-Douglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 23 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello my name is Teresa smith
And I'm trying to find information on the leach family so I can help my daughter with her tree
My great grandfather was Sidney wanford  smith his parents were (also my GG grandparents if anyone can help me fill in the rest I would be forever grateful for the leach side of my family
Emma Mae Leach 1858-December 1933 & wanford smith April 29,1849-Sept 1935
Her parents were
Benjamin leach March 4,1828-1911 & Jemima Kane 1830-1909 stroud Gloucestershire
And also as well I was always told growing up by my grandfather that Archibald Leach ( Cary Grant was a cousin but never proven

Please help with the missing pieces For the Leach side would love to grow our family tree