Author Topic: Dutch East Indies  (Read 4252 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Dutch East Indies
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everone,

Would someone be able to advise me if the Dutch East Indies Company had an office in Woodbridge Suffolk - trying to work on family info re my Brown line.  This would help to confirm whether the family "talk" was correct.  The period would have been from 1790 to 1850 odd - big gap I know but I don't want to go down the wrong path with a surname like Brown.

Thank you in anticipation
Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline Attleborough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch East Indies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can't answer your question but is this of any help? http://www.tanap.net/

A.

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 10 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi A,

Thank you for the website - I have sent them an email

Regards

Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 10 06:55 BST (UK) »
The history of the Dutch East India Company, founded in 1602 and declared bankrupt in 1799, spans almost the whole of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. For much of this time it was the world’s largest trading company, owning, at the height of its wealth and power, more than half the world’s sea-going shipping – with its characteristic ship, the ‘fluyt’, also being produced for the merchant marines of other countries, including England.

I believe the whole company was dissolved in 1800.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 10 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bilge

Thank you for the info - looks like the info I have been given by family may be very shaky indeed.

Thanks again (Adcord)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a thought, what about the British East India Company, could that have been the organisation your family lore was referring too, it was very large, many ships, had it's own private army etc.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Findem,

That sounds like a definite possibility.  Thank you for the information.  Do you know of anywhere in particular I could check this out.  It was lovely of you to take the time to add this - thanks again

Adcor

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi adcor,

Not sure where you could look for the info you want but if you Google british east india company it will bring up quite a few hits.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks again findem - will do

Regards Adcord