Author Topic: Woodbridge  (Read 2631 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Woodbridge
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 02:48 BST (UK) »
Could someone firstly advise if the Dutch East Indies Co had an office in woodbridge - family chatter that the father of my John Brown  Thomas Brown - was a "Clerk" for that Company somewhere between 1790 and say 1850.  I am still searching my John Brown from Suffolk and the reason for Woodbridge as the area is because John used Woodbridge as a middle name of one of his children to a 2nd marriage
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find Johns birth and all I know is that he was from Suffolk - son of Thomas and Ann.  John's DC says he was in Aust 60yrs when he died in 1888.  His DC also states he was 79yrs but his headstone says 84yrs.  However, I still feel that he was born 1808or 1809.

Thank you  Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline 1324976tm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodbridge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
You might try Ipswich as Woodbridge is closely conected to it and it is also the local dock area .
All the best in your hunt.
Ted

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
hi debbie
i, just did a google search regarding an office in woodbridge and nothing comes up to confirm of one but in google books  there is a list of agents for the dutch east indies co now woodbridge isn,t on that list but it says that it isn,t a comprehensive list so it,s possible either there was an office or maybe an agent for the company in woodbridge also woodbridge has the river deben running right passed it not a big river by the time it gets to woodbridge but still possibly a useful trading station back then .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it was the Dutch East India Company and not the English/British East India Company?

Because of various little wars between England/Britain and Holland/United Provinces/Netherlands, I would have thought it unlikely for the Dutch company (VOC) to have an office in England?

Woodbridge used to be a biggish port, in its day. The town has been a centre for boat-building, rope-making and sail-making since the Middle Ages. Edward III and Sir Francis Drake had fighting ships built in Woodbridge.

Silting means that the town is now some miles from the sea!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and information.

In answer to your query - I am not sure if it was the Dutch East India Company.  It was family talk that my g.g. grandfather's dad worked for them or similar company.  John Brown here in Australia was an early pioneer - to date nobody has been able to find his arrival or birth.  All Certificates having him come from Suffolk with a father's name of Thomas. He supposedly arrived around 1821 as a cabin boy.  I found this odd - who would have looked after him here.  Family chat can be annoying as you have to sort out fact from fiction.  He died in Australia in the late 1800s' a wealthy man but having 3 wives and 9 children - the money soon went.   He used, as a middle name for one of his children, Woodbridge".  This is why we all thought he may have come from there.

Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)