Author Topic: Adolphus Holmes c1854  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Joanna Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adolphus Holmes c1854
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have just found and joined this website tonight. Adolphus Holmes was my grandfather, very spread out generations in my family! my father was Cecil (known as Charles) Herbert Holmes - the second son of Adolphus 2nd marriage. He died in 1997. I am curious to know more of the first family - my fathers half brothers and sisters, and if anyone knows what happened to Harriet? I met Rose when I was little, and Rose's daughter came to visit my parents sometimes in New Zealand - around the same age as them although she was my cousin. My father referred to his half brothers and sisters as his uncles and aunts as they were much older.

Offline dctaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 August 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna - As per my previous post, Aldolphus Holmes was my Great-Grandad, i only have one picture of him taken with my Dad as a baby. Do you have any pictures of him at all?

Offline Joanna Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 August 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am not sure of photos, I think my mother has one somewhere. I'll have to ask her, then borrow it to scan it. Unfortunately there was a flood that destroyed a lot of old photos about 10 years ago. There are not many photos of my father's side of the family. I must sometime take a photo of the old embroidery my mother has, signed in stitches by Harriet Lazell - we never knew who she was until fairly recently. Do you know of any buildings still existing in Southend that Adolphus built?

Offline Lellylou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna, my husband is your cousin. He's Edgars son . As you can see I've not been on for a while (all due to family incidents ). He says he remembers you and your younger sister, living in Woking, and you had a swimming pool x
Groom - Moreton Say, Market Drayton,Shropshire,England.
Groom -Winnipeg,Canada, after 1920.
Pye - Ashley, Staffordshire,England.
Sanderson - West Riding Yorkshire, Durham,England.
Holmes - Southend-on-Sea,Essex,England
Holmes - Bures-St-Mary,Bures Hamlet,Suffolk.

Offline Joanna Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 September 14 01:31 BST (UK) »
so good to hear from you, I haven't been on any genealogy websites for so long, not sure what drew me this time! I still wonder about other family members. Surprisingly on my mother's side we discovered a whole lot of relatives who descended from a great-great-grandfather who live here in New Zealand, and we thought we had no family here. I lived for 10 years up the road from a distant cousin without being aware of him. You never know, there may be more.
I would like to keep in touch - I am on Facebook. If you are too that may be the more appropriate place to be in contact. How is Stephen? And Christine? Do you also know what has happened to our cousin Paul, Norman's son? My mother has not heard from him for many years.