Author Topic: Handwritten Sermons  (Read 1889 times)

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Handwritten Sermons
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
"COMPLETED"              My grandfather was a Wesleyan Methodist minister. Over the years (betreen 1901 & 1935) he accumulated many handwritten sermons, and as our family historian I have been keeping them. I now have to make space for other stuff. Does anyone know of a place which would accept them?  They weigh about 3 kg, and his handwriting is not particularly easy to read.
I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away.
London - Wilkinson, Jones, Sanders, Fowler.
Cornwall - Jenkin, Buckingham, Frayn.  Cambridgeshire - Johnson, Preston, Marshall. 
Somerset - Watts, Budgett, King.  Norfolk - Leggett, Binks, Spooner.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Handwritten Sermons
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
I can think of 2 places where they may be of use:

1:  Your local county Archives

2:  Your local family history society

Donated items are always accepted by both.  But if your county archives accept them, they will be able to look after them & preserve them correctly and probably more people would have access.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
If the Archives or FHS don't want them, try the Wesley College in Bristol.  They have an extensive library.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions. As my grandfather moved every 4 years and worked all over the country, it's difficult to know which of many fhs or county archives would take them. Years ago I tried the John Rylands University (Methodist Archives) but no joy. I have contacted Bristol, so watch this space! By the way, I live in Scotland so it's not a case of popping down the road!
Cornwall - Jenkin, Buckingham, Frayn.  Cambridgeshire - Johnson, Preston, Marshall. 

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
The fact that he moved around should not be a problem & I think the Bristol FHS will be more than happy to take these documents.

I live in London and am a member of this excellent FHS.  I regularly trawl through the Oxfam Bookshop & buy old books about Bristol & send them off to them (after I have read them & photocopied any bits I want to keep).  All donations are gratefully received by them.

In fact I often wish I lived in the Bristol area so I could attend meetings etc.  this is a lively FHS unlike some whose membership is dwindling.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Another possibility for a home for your grandfather's sermons is The Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History at the Brookes University in Oxford, which houses the Wesley Historical Society Library.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to those who replied to my post. I have sent the sermons to the Librarian at Wesley College, Bristol. This request is therefore completed.
Eleanor :)