Author Topic: Shipton Draper born c 1810  (Read 5787 times)

Offline MsD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shipton Draper born c 1810
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this site.  I have been tracing my family tree for some time now and to my surprise I found out I was a descendant of Romany Gypsies.  My great great grandmother was Britannia Draper b.1840, she was married to Thomas Gregory.  Her father on her marriage certificate was called Shipton Draper, a basket maker.  I have not been able to find any information on  Shipton Draper and hoped that someone could enlighten me :)

Karen

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipton Draper born c 1810
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 April 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
I think you may have a puzzle on your hands with this.
Using both FindMyPast and ancestry your Britannia Draper does not appear anywhere in the census prior to her marriage to Thomas Gregory.
There is no birth for a Britannia Draper, using Britannia, Brittannia, Britania, Brittania and Brit*.
No births for same combinations using surname Gregory and surname Lee.
In 1861 census there is a
Zachariah Lee age 56 a tinman and brazier born Bucks.
Wife Charlotte 47 born kent
Brittania Gregory age 9 daughter born Penn Bucks (No birth for her on FreeBMD)
Ambrose 10 son
Herbert 8 son
Walter Gregory 1 grandson

So is Britannia Charlotte's dau? Who does Walter Gregory belong to?  Is this anything to do with your Brittania Draper at all?

It doesn't help that Britannia in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses changes her place of birth. In 1891 Not Known.

And No Shipton Draper. I am trying! ;D

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:05 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the public tree on ancestry that gives Shipton Draper's father as Lacy plus brothers Frederick and Billy? Unfortunately the information published is provided by another person on GenesReunited and no sources are given.
I saw the extracted record on familyrecordsearch of Thomas and Britannia's marriage. Do you have the certificate for this? Witnesses names could provide a clue if you luck was in.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:18 BST (UK) »
Also found this
England and Wales Criminal Registers 1791-1892
County of Hertfordshire 1827
 Special Assizes
Shipton Smith also Draper crime Robbery sentenced to death.

It doesn't say if he was executed but I can't find him as yet being transported under the name Shipton Smith/Draper.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 April 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hiya Karen and welcome to Rootschat...do you know Shiptons siblings?? on familysearch.org an Extracted record,the only one for a Shipton Draper

Shipton Draper b 26th March 1854....A FEMALE
christened 9th April 1854 at St Pauls ,Hammersmith,London...A FEMALE CHRISTENING
father Samuel Draper
mother Honour............
could Samuel be Shiptons brother and has named his daughter after him ?
OR.....was the FATHERS name on Brittanias marriage mistranscribed...what name does it have for Brittanias mother ?...........not trying to confuse things but it seems a little unusual to have a Shipton as a male and a Shipton as a female......allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MsD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 April 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone and thank you for your replies.  Yes, I do have alot of information from the census's and I do have Britannia Draper's marriage certificate to Thomas Gregory (father John Gregory, Basket Maker) and Shipton Draper (Basket Maker) is difinitely written on there as her father.   Britannia's first child was Walter William Draper (named Walter Gregory in 1861 census and living with Zacharia and Charlotte Lee, Tinker and Brazier), 10 years later he was then living with Ambrose Lee, Britannia's brother, and Celia and William Clark, Aunt and Uncle.  After ordering their marriage certificate I found out that Celia was also a Draper, though father is called John Draper.

My great grandfather Walter Draper (son of Britannia) went on to have a son who died at birth it seems, called Shipton Draper and I have also found that Britannia's son Alfred John Gregory who married Olive Smith also named one of their son's Shipton in 1917. 

The christian name Shipton for a male does make me believe that Britannia's father Shipton Draper was a real being, though very elusive it seems!

The Criminal record for Shipton Draper (Smith) is interesting as the surname Smith is within the family...there could be a connection to the family. If he did die of his crime it is unlikely he is Britannia's father as she was born in 1840.

Karen :) 

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In case these could be 'your' Shipton DRAPER/SMITH

Solomon SMITH
Christening Date: 18 Aug 1833
Christening Place: Weston, Hertfordshire
Father's Name: Shipton SMITH
Mother's Name: Charlotte Ann

Death
Shipton SMITH    Dec Q 1843    Windsor, Berkshire    6  194

Windsor is only about 13 miles from Penn, Buckinhamshire where Britannia has as her birthplace in 1861.

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MsD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

This is very interesting information, thank you.  I haven't come across this before myself.  I do really feel this is a very strong connection. 

There was a Susan Smith living with Robert Solomon Lee as aunt, in the 1891 census.  She was the widow of Robert Smith born 1819 who was a Tinman and I found him living with his parents in 1841 living with Robert and Martha Smith, father also a Tinman.

Could Robert be a brother to Shipton Smith?  Britannia Draper was born about 1840 and her mother was Charlotte...maybe she is the one with the surname Draper, before she married Zachariah Lee.  I always thought it would be the other way round...Charlotte's surname being Smith.  Charlotte had a son born 1853 with Zachariah Lee called Robert Solomon Lee and I have always wondered who he was named after.

The death reg for Shipton Smith is also interesting.  In fact I might just have to order the certificate!  Windsor is an area my family of Lee's and Draper's travelled to or through.

Many thanks

Karen

Offline MsD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 May 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

I have eventually received the death certificate for Shipton Smith...and it is very interesting.  It says he died in 1843 at the age of 35, which means he was born about 1808.  He died in the presence of Fanny DRAPER which is a big coincidence which makes me believe this could be my man I was looking for!?

Born about 1808
Died in 1843
Thameside New Windsor
Occupation Tramp
Cause of death Consumption
Present at the death was Fanny Draper

Regards

Karen