Author Topic: DOUGLAS Family at Farr Sutherlandshire 1820-1860s  (Read 2628 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOUGLAS Family at Farr Sutherlandshire 1820-1860s
« on: Friday 02 April 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
My great-great-great grandparents were John (A Shepherd) and Helen (Nelly) DOUGLAS. They married on 27th April, 1820 or 1821 (unsure because of conflicting information) at Lairg, Sutherlandshire. John was nominally of the region of Clibrig (I believe near Farr) whilst Helen (Nelly) was of Tomich. The couple settled at Farr where they raised their children.

In the 1841 Census the family were living at Connafern (possibly read as Coirnafern) in the parish of Farr with my great great grandmother Isabella at age 17.

The 1861 Census shows the family as living at Altanloughard, Shepherd's House in the Kirkton/Farr area.

Can anyone please tell me whether Clibrig, Connafern and Atlanloughard were property names or localities? Do the houses still exist today?

John Douglas died between 11th and 14th May, 1864 due to exhaustion and exposure after being found in the hills around Farr. The death was registered on the information of W.S. Fraser, the Procurator Fiscal.

I am wondering whether this indicates that an Inquest would have been held and if so how can I obtain a copy of the same?

Furthermore are there other Douglas descendants of these ancestors who can contact me and perhaps help me to fill in the gaps? This would be wonderful as I have never met anyone from this line!

Thanks & cheers for now.
Rob

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS Family at Farr Sutherlandshire 1820-1860s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 April 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Rob, vast parish, work your way through this,  http://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm   type in "Farr"
this has the O.S map and aerial photo side by side so when you find the property on the map, you can check the photo and see if the roof is still on.
Skoosh.

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 April 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh I will give it a go!
Cheers,
Rob

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
 Just under Loch Naver (Farr parish, Sutherlandshire) on the east end there is a small cemetery (10 stones) .. stone # 4: John Douglas shepherd of Alteleard 11.5.1864 age:65 , Ellen Douglas 4.12.1864 age: 64. The cemetery is called Achness. I was sent this info on Facebook: County Sutherland, Family History 'Group'
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
 When John's mother (Oliver) died in 1855. Her son John was the Informant
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.