Author Topic: FLYNN & HARPER, Waterford  (Read 6944 times)

Offline DavBar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLYNN & HARPER, Waterford
« on: Friday 02 April 10 04:42 BST (UK) »
we have just become aware that the April 1911 census is now available online and it has renewed our interest in trying to find out when our grand mother Jane Flynn (nee Harper) died and where she is buried. on the census she is recorded as living at 1 Gaol street, Waterford with her husband John Flynn three of their children and a niece Annie O'Rourke.
we know that John Flynn died in Oct 1918 during the Spanish flu pandemic and was buried with his father in the Catholic churchyard cemetery Fenor
other than the fact that shortly after the census Jane gave birth to twins in May 1911 we can find no further trace of her nor the grave of one of the twins who we believe died at birth
We would appreciate any help  that anyone can offer as to how we acquire this information.
Jane's father was James Harper who we believe is buried at St Andrews Dunmore East with his parents but again we have been unable to find where and when Jane's mother was buried
DavBar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FLYNN & HARPER, Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 April 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the family in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Waterford_Urban_No__1/Gaol_Street/669642/
If you look at Form B you will see that '1' is merely the number on the census sheet and not an actual house number.

Searching death index for a Jane Flynn in Waterford I found one possible entry- Jane Elizabeth Flynn (age 36) Oct./Dec.1911 Waterford registration district volume 4 page 445. The age tallies with the 1911 census and is the only likely one I can see- also checked in case she remarried but nothing under Waterford in the index. John's death certificate should say if he was a widower at the time of his death.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DavBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 April 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
many thanks aghadowey

we will continue our search - unfortunately we do not have our grandfathers death certificate

DavBar

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
In the family history section of the Waterford County Council website i found the following, Marianne Harper , wife of Henry Harper, chief Officer of the Coast Guard at Ballymacaw, died April  21st 18(4-) aged 46?.This grave is in Dunmore  Church of Ireland graveyard, would it be a relation?

Offline DavBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 April 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
we believe that Marianne & Henry Harper are Jane Flynn's grandparents and that her father James is buried with them at Dunmore East.
it is understood that her mother, who we believe was Bridget (nee Croker), is also buried at Dunmore East but with her second husband

again your help is much appreciated
DavBar

Offline sisters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 April 10 03:22 BST (UK) »
[

quote author=aghadowey link=topic=448002.msg3102924#msg3102924 date=1270195993]
Here's a link to the family in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Waterford_Urban_No__1/Gaol_Street/669642/
If you look at Form B you will see that '1' is merely the number on the census sheet and not an actual house number.

Searching death index for a Jane Flynn in Waterford I found one possible entry- Jane Elizabeth Flynn (age 36) Oct./Dec.1911 Waterford registration district volume 4 page 445. The age tallies with the 1911 census and is the only likely one I can see- also checked in case she remarried but nothing under Waterford in the index. John's death certificate should say if he was a widower at the time of his death.

Hi aqhadowey.  Thank-you.  Just wondering where you located the death index, and if it has any information about where Jane is buried?  Thanks sisters

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 April 10 09:33 BST (UK) »

...  Just wondering where you located the death index, and if it has any information about where Jane is buried?  Thanks sisters

Death certs do not include a place of burial, but do include a location where the death occurred, exact date, informant etc...see 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on the civil BMD index and details included on certs.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 April 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
The death is from civil registrations index- see Shane's link posted about.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sisters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
The death is from civil registrations index- see Shane's link posted about.

Thank-you Shane and adhadowey for your assistance I found the record. sisters