Author Topic: Clarification  (Read 556 times)

Offline melm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Clarification
« on: Friday 02 April 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
:) Hi,
         My ancestor was a 'driver' in the Royal Field Artillery would I be right in assuming that this would mean his job was to drive the team of horses that pulled the gun-carriage??
Also could some-one enlighten me what 1/2nd Brigade means, does this translate to 1st Battalion of the 2nd Brigade??
All help appreciated.
Melm   ???
Mel Markham researching, Markham, Brown, Smith, Wright,  Longthorn, Beacock, Harrison; Yorkshire.
Wright, Doughty; Lincs.

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 April 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
from wiki

A Driver was a military rank used in the British Royal Artillery and artillery corps of other commonwealth armies throughout the First and Second World War, as well as in earlier conflicts. It was equal to the rank of private; however it consisted of driving a form of transportation which pulled artillery and equipment.
During the First World War, drivers were in charge of a team of up to six horses which pulled field artillery to areas of fighting. It is likely that they were also capable of performing the duties of a Gunner when required or a replacement was needed. During the Second World War the position was almost the same, although horses were replaced with jeeps and other more modern military vehicles.
kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs