Author Topic: Help with Districts on birth certificate please  (Read 7509 times)

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Districts on birth certificate please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, the baptism says Parish/District Wicklow.  Would that imply Wicklow town or could Wicklow district include Ashford?  They are Roman Catholic. 

To add even more to the confusion, the IGI for his birth says 01 Jan 1867 0992 Arklow Wicklow Ireland

???  :-\

Sunic

Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, the baptism says Parish/District Wicklow.  Would that imply Wicklow town or could Wicklow district include Ashford?  They are Roman Catholic. 

To add even more to the confusion, the IGI for his birth says 01 Jan 1867 0992 Arklow Wicklow Ireland

Arklow is a separate RC parish, so that would seem to contradict that IGI record.. maybe a typo?

Ashford and Wicklow towns are very close (about 6km) and seem to be part of the same RC parish.

Are there any other children born to the same family, slightly later ?  If so they might give a more detailed address on a birth cert for them.

Do you have the baptism details from an IFHF record ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's an IFHF record.  His brother's said exactly the same thing:  Parish/District WICKLOW, County:  County Wicklow,  Denomination:  Roman Catholic.

I'm not really sure what a townland is.  It's an area within a Parish isn't it?  What would the townlands be in that area?  Sorry to be so thick!

Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Townland is the smallest division of land.. you can search a database of these at : www.thecore.com/seanruad  A Poor Law Union (PLU) is equivalent to the registration district.

see also : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland  http://www.irish-roots.ie/civil-administration.asp 

Wicklow town is split between three civil parishes as follows

Barony/Civil Parish/PLU

Newcastle    Rathnew    Rathdrum
 Arklow    Drumkay    Rathdrum
 Arklow    Kilpoole    Rathdrum

maybe that's where the Arklow details crept into the IGI record..

The townlands, and civil parishes are shown on the OSI maps I mentioned earlier. Note that RC parishes were generally different to Civil (i.e. Church of Ireland) Parishes

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that's a great help.

Sunic

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wicklow Town, is in the 'civil' Parish of Drumkay, Kilpoole and Rathnew, and in the Registrar's  district of Rathdrum. All Births and Marriages, for Wicklow town had to be registered in Rathdrum which was the PLU (Poor Law Union) for Wicklow. Ashford records only start from 1864 up to this they were registered in Wicklow Records. The R.C. records for Drumkay started 1747: Kilpoole = Wicklow 1655: Rathnew 1864.

In 1865 Ashford and Glenealy were separated from Wicklow and erected into a parish of their own. Fr. T. O’Carroll D.D. was the first Parish Priest with Rev. Thomas Hickey his Curate.  The sites for the Church, School and Curate’s House were given rent free forever from the Landlord, Tighe of Rosanna.  The foundation stone for the Church was laid on the 19th March 1868 with the opening ceremony 5th October 1869.

Have you any more names for your Thompson family? There are only 2 families listed in the census of 1911 for the 'Wicklow' area. I have listed this family. They were not listed on Friar's Hill in the census of 1901. Did you know of a Sab Thompson?

c 1911 b10 Friar's Hill Wicklow 65/43
Private Dwelling 2 windows in front of 2nd class house. 2 rooms occupied by 3 persons.
No out offices. Landholder = Edmund N. Grimshaw. (Grimshaws's cottages)
All 3 were Roman Catholic.
1 Thomas Thompson, head of household, could read & write age 30 yrs [bc 1881] Gardiner married, born Antrim.
2 Mary Thompson, wife could read & write age 30 yrs  [bc 1881] married 6 yrs [mc 1905] 1 child born 1 alive, born Queen's County.
3 Mary Josephine Thompson, daughter age 3 yrs born Wicklow

I do not have all the 1901 census for Rathnew copied but NAI are hoping to have them to view for free, like the 1911 census, during this year.
c 1911: b 69 in Rathnew Town (Wicklow Rural, Wicklow) All Roman Catholic born Co Wicklow
All stated 'cannot read'.

1 Thompson, William, age 65 [bc 1846] Head of Family, General Labourer, Widower
2 Thompson, William, age 23 [bc 1888] Son, General Labourer, Single   
3 Thompson, James   age 20 [bc 1891] Son, General Labourer. Single   
4 Thompson, Lizzie, age 26 [bc 1885] Daughter,. Married 5 yrs No children listed
5 Thompson, Martin   age 3 [1908] Grand Child
6 Thompson, Essie age 13 [bc    1898] Daughter,
7 Noctor,    Daniel, age 25 [bc 1886] Son in Law, General Labourer, Married   5years, no children listed.
 Hope this will be of some help.

Regards Julia

Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 April 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that.

My family is too early for the census, but strangely it too is a Thomas and Mary Jane (nee Lawless).  They have 3 children - Joseph born c 1865, David born 1867 and Maria born c 1869.

By 1871 the family have emigrated and are living in Dolgelly in Wales. 

It is David's birth certificate that says both that he was born, and his father lives, in 'Wicklow' (no other details given) although the births are registered in the district of Ashford.  He was baptised in the Parish/District of Wicklow in Feb 1867.  His brother and sister appear to have been baptised in the same place, Joseph in Sept 1864 and Maria in 1869.  The family are Roman Catholic.

I was wondering whether the church you talk of in Ashford is Catholic or Church of Ireland?  If it's Catholic it would be too late for this family, so presumably they were baptised in the church in Wicklow town.

Best wishes

Sunic