Author Topic: Wrecked on Black Middons, Red Rover  (Read 1423 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wrecked on Black Middons, Red Rover
« on: Monday 05 April 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out information on the yacht "Red Rover" owned by Henry Bugg, and skipperd by Capt. George Levesley that was wrecked on the Black Middon rocks at Tynemouth in 1859 or 1860. Was there any report in local newspapers at that time, anyone have access to local newspapers or records of Lifeboats etc.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wrecked on Black Middons, Red Rover
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
5 Oct 1860 Newcastle Courant

1 Oct - The Red Rover, Greenwell, from Shields for Rochester, floudered on the 25th Sept, crew landed here by the Brutus, Black, from St John's Newfoundland for Leath.

Doesn't sound like a yacht though.  Another report from 5 Feb 1858 where someone washed up dead on shore at Anderby on the Lincolnshire coast with a butcher's bill and some money, stating man named Hume.  It was feared the he was Mr Hume, master of the Red Rover of Shields, which sailed from this port, in ballast, on the 17th inst

That seemed to be what there was for marine news.  The other articles were for a derby horse named Red Rover
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wrecked on Black Middons, Red Rover
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply 2zpool, I found a short piece in local newpaper some time ago saying that the "Red Rover" had been wrecked on the Black Middons and assumed it was the yacht owned by Henry Bugg of Spalding. A report in a local newspaper on May 8th 1861 says that the new yacht "Sylph" belonging to Henry Bugg has arrived off Fosdyke which is near the mouth of the river Welland which was the port of Spalding in those days. This led me to believe that he had lost the "Red Rover" the previous year. I will have to go back to our newspaper for October 1860 to check again.
Many thanks
Keith