Author Topic: help needed please  (Read 1226 times)

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help needed please
« on: Tuesday 06 April 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Can Someone help me please?
John William Parrish born  30th sept 1898 Aston Birmingham, England.
I know that John joined up in 1914 when he was 16 (would he have lied about age?) and have been able to get some info but unfortunately theres more than one! How do i find out which is mine????

John W Parrish: Royal Field Artillery Regiment number 73317, Sergeant-Victory medal RFA/207B21366
John W Parrish:     "       "          "           "             "       215700, Gunner- Victory and British Medal
                                                                                                      RFA/207B39326
John W Parrish: Army service corp          "            "       m/340729 Private-British and Victory medal
                                                                                                       Rase/101b31431927
John W Parrish: Royal Engineers            "            "       69439   Sapper,  Victory and British medal
                                                                                                         RE/101B347076
                                                                                                         15 star-RE/3B1429 class z (2?)
                                                                                                          Theatre first served in france
                                                                                                          Date therein 25/7/15

John William Parrish: Lincolnshire Regiment< Regiment number 3771 SWB/LIST/F/A/1639

Any info, help, suggestions, ideas, gratefully received!
Parrish/Parish: Birmingham, Staffordshire, Shropshire.
Connections: Salt,  Gould,  Neath, Malpas(s), Cox, Jones, Pargeter,  Grainger, Greenaway, Bannister, Car(e)less, Broome, Dawes, Meese, Aga, Howard

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
First question - do you have any of his medals? If so then his number will be engraved on the rim.

Here is a site with some good hints for researching soldiers:

http://www.1914-1918.net/

Next, if you have an Ancestry subscription - check and see if any of those men's service papers survive and - if so - which fits with the man you want. However, be prepared to be disappointed - only about 30% or so of the papers survive, the rest being burnt in the Blitz.

Watch this space - there are some excellent and helpful people who will no doubt tell you more.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi jds, I've added what I think ?? Are his medal numbers.
I've looked at that site but it just confused me more lol.
I dont have an ancestry sub, but i beleive the info i have is off the medal roll on there and nothing matched on service records, but i'm not positive of that.

Thank you for your help, keeping my fingers crossed!
Regards
kim
Connections: Salt,  Gould,  Neath, Malpas(s), Cox, Jones, Pargeter,  Grainger, Greenaway, Bannister, Car(e)less, Broome, Dawes, Meese, Aga, Howard

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you actually have any of his medals as all his details will be engraved on rim?
Its pretty hard pinning him down...do you have any photos especially ones with cap badges on?

the info you have relates to the medal roll books at Kew and are taken from the medal index cards

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ady
I dont have anything, I wasnt even aware he was in the army until sunday when his daughter said "He went off to the trenches when he was 16"
But that was as much info as she could tell me
Theres a bit of a dispute as to where any family photos maybe, no one seems to have any.
Some kind person looked the above info up for me.
Sorry lol
I'm stumped
 :-\
thanks,
 kim

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
Kim
Do you still live local to Aston?
If so you may be able to look at the newspapers 1914-18 see if any enlistment nominals..these are good archives especially 1914,15 and early 16 before conscription there are usually local nominals of lads who flocked to the colours..time consuming mind but do yield results.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Not far away. Thanks Ady. I'd've never thought of that!
Where do i find those lol

I'm not very good at this!  ::)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Kim,

You can probably discount the Lincolnshire Regiment one. Your man was certainly too young to be a Regular (1st / 2nd Battalion) with that number. It is probably a 4th or 5th Territorial Battalion number issued early 1915. So unless he was in or around Lincoln or Grimsby at that time, it's not him.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
It's not Sapper 69439, Royal Engineers either. He was born about 1883 and came from East Ham.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk