Author Topic: Private F Sewell, Irish Guards, POW in WW1  (Read 4013 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Private F Sewell, Irish Guards, POW in WW1
« on: Tuesday 06 April 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any help with this man

3152. Private F Sewell in Irish Guards. He is believed to be a carpenter from Killarney before enlisting

Quoted by American Consul to be at Zossen POW Camp in 1916/1917

Keogh (the Sgt Major of the Irish Brigade) has him as F.Sewell of Killarney and Casement notes that he was a carpenter before enlisting. Mentioned in POW interviews as in Irish Guards

The most likely family from 1911 census, if Killarney is correct, is a child of Marian Sewell, a widow of 12 Henn St, Killarney who was aged 45 and a Publican. She had 7 children and only 3 daughters were actually living at home in 1911.

The LDS Family Search site does not give me any "F" Sewells born at the right time (I would expect him to have been born 1880 to 1898). Both his MIC and Keogh have him as "F" without a Christian name, which is itself a bit odd.

I should also add that http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html gives me 5 children to this family rather than the 7 that she had living in 1911. Only one is a boy, William Joseph born 14 April 1892

I have been unable to find out more about his family or himself.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Rosaleen Sewell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Private F Sewell, Irish Guards, POW in WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,Frank Sewell (Francis) is my dad's uncle. He was from Blarney,Cork. If you check the 1901 census for Ireland,Cork,you'll see he's listed on it. His father is Elijah. He also had a brother Fredrick (Fred). Both of them were born in Hartlepool Durham. None of my family knows what happened to them. I do know Frank was a POW in Zossen. I'd appreciate any info you have.

Thanks,Rose
Looking for information on Frank Sewell who served in the Irish Guards.