Author Topic: Beauchamp and Cabot of Jersey *Completed*  (Read 8394 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Beauchamp and Cabot of Jersey *Completed*
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John (Jean) Beauchamp was born in Trinity Jersey approx 1811.  He went on to marry Mary (Mary) Cabot who was born in Grouville approx 1812.

I am trying to find out who the parents of John Beauchamp and Mary Cabot were and also when John and Mary were married.

Their eldest child Mary Ann Beauchamp was born in Trinity in 1838, so suspect the marriage to be not too many years prior to 1838.

One of their sons John Beauchamp was born in 1841 in Trinity.  If any records appear of his baptism I would be very pleased to know the date and location.

Most grateful for any help.  I know there are a lot of Cabot's out there!
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beauchamp and Cabot of Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again

John Beaucamp (no H) married Mary Ann Cabot in St Helier Church, 2nd Mar 1836

John Beaucamp was baptised Trinity, 2nd Jun 1811 the son of Jean Beaucamp and Elizabeth du Feu. Jean and Jeanne Godeaux were the godparents.

The most likely Cabot baptism is for Marie Anne Cabot, daughter of Elie Cabot and Francoise Nicolle on 21st Jun 1812 at Grouville.

Mary Ann Beachamp (the daughter) was baptised 25th Jun 1837. There are no further Beaucamp baptisms in Trinity from 1837 to 1842.

Let me know if there's anything else.

Stewart

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, this is wonderful and takes me back another generation.

I am curious to know where my John Beauc(h)amp who was born 1841/2 in Trinity was Baptised.

All the younger siblings were baptised from 1843 in St Helier which I have found, I just can't trace John's baptism.

If it does come to light, I would be keen to know where and when for him.

Thank you so much once again.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Remember that civil registration in Jersey didn't start until 1842 so it it is likely that his baptism is in the parish records.

In fact there is a John  Beaucamp baptised in St Helier, 9th Jun 1839, son of Jean Beaucamp and Marie Anne Cabot. God-parents were Elie Cabot (uncle) and Emeline Cabot (aunt).

Stewart

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much again Stewart.  You have helped me more than you know as the John Beauchamp you just mentioned was the older brother of my John Beauchamp, and he died in infancy.

Now I know that Mary Ann Cabot did have a brother (as well as a father) called Elie and that is helping no end with my search.

Again thanks so much.

Offline stuartjellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Beauchamp and Cabot of Jersey *Completed*
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
my name is stuart john ellis and my late grandmother (violet alice beauchamp b 1903) grew up on guernsey.According to my research her family can be traced back to a JOHN BEAUCAMP who was born in 1812 at Trinity on jersey (1851 census).He married a MARY ANN who was born in GROUVILLE JERSEY c 1817.JOHN was a mason and Mary Ann a dressmaker.They lived at 49 GRAND VAL HOUSE in St Helier (in 1851) with 5 of their 7 children.
 I believe this JOHN BEAUCAMP---no h yet!--- is my great,great,great grandfather as I can follow his children and grand children down to my own grandmother (violet alice beauchamp)......do you think that "your" John Beaucamp who married Mary Ann Cabot could be the same people shown on the 1851 census?  ......if so can we help each other?!......sincerely Stuart

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
The baptisms and births of the 3 St Helier born children of your John and Mary Ann can be found on www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je

Thomas 10/8/1843
Eliza (Elise) 15/2/1847
James Francis 13/10/1850

There is also Emelie 1848 and Isabelle 1845

Their parents were indeed John Beaucamp, mason,  (some entries as Beauchamp so check both) and Mary Ann Cabot so it looks as if you do have a match.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 10 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

We could well be related!  I am a direct descendant of John Beauchamp and Mary Ann Cabot, through their son John Beauchamp who married Jane Phillips Collings.  The H in the surname seemed to appear after their move from Jersey to Guernsey.

They did indeed move to Guernsey and had heaps of children.  Their daughter Jane Phillips Beauchamp Born 1863 was my Great Great Grandmother.

Who was Violet's father and mother? 

my name is stuart john ellis and my late grandmother (violet alice beauchamp b 1903) grew up on guernsey.According to my research her family can be traced back to a JOHN BEAUCAMP who was born in 1812 at Trinity on jersey (1851 census).He married a MARY ANN who was born in GROUVILLE JERSEY c 1817.JOHN was a mason and Mary Ann a dressmaker.They lived at 49 GRAND VAL HOUSE in St Helier (in 1851) with 5 of their 7 children.
 I believe this JOHN BEAUCAMP---no h yet!--- is my great,great,great grandfather as I can follow his children and grand children down to my own grandmother (violet alice beauchamp)......do you think that "your" John Beaucamp who married Mary Ann Cabot could be the same people shown on the 1851 census?  ......if so can we help each other?!......sincerely Stuart

Offline stuartjellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 August 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
hullo again.....my maternal grandmother VIOLET ALICE BEAUCHAMP....was born in 1903 on guernsey.,the youngest of 3 .....with brothers WILLIAM F BEAUCHAMP b1899 and HENRY JOHN (known as Harry) BEAUCHAMP b 1901 both born in st martins parish on guernsey.They all came with their parents to live at 45 lucknow street,landport in portsmouth between the 1901 and 1911 census.They appear on the 1911 portsmouth census.
Their parents were WILLIAM HENRY BEAUCHAMP b 1874 and MARIE ADA INGROUILLE (b1874 in st andrews on guernsey.)
This William Henry Beauchamp was the fourth child born to JOHN BEAUCHAMP( born in 1842 in st martins on jersey)and his wife JANE P ? (who came from Cornwall) .His siblings were ......
1.) JOHN J ( b 1866)
2.)THOMAS R (b 1868)
3.) ANNE E (b 1869)
4.)WILLIAM
5.) CHARLES F (b 1878)
6.) FLORENCE L (b 1879)
.....all of this appears on the 1881 guernsey census...and then......
7.) ARTHUR (b 1883)
8.) GEORGE (b 1886) who appear on the 1891 census as the family have moved from 1/11 pollet street st peter port to Havelet again in st peter port.
Their father is the JOHN BEAUCAMP born in 1812 at TRINITY on JERSEY .He was a mason.His wife,MARY ANN (CABOT?) was born in GROUVILLE in 1817? on Jersey.She is shown on the 1861 census as dress maker when they have moved from Grand Val House in St Helier Jersey to 2 Church Street St Peter Port Guernsey.
Does any of this tally with your research?!
Is your ancestor was JANE P BEAUCHAMP  born in 1843(My great grandmother) who was born in cornwall (no maiden name known by me) then we must be related! Even if my search does not agree with yours thank you for getting in touch and I look forward to your reply!....I,M GETTING HOOKED ON THIS
sincerely Stuart