Author Topic: Help..i'm new and going to Longford next week  (Read 2951 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help..i'm new and going to Longford next week
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 20:51 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Help..i'm new and going to Longford next week
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 06 08:30 GMT (UK) »
;D

Hei Foxjohnstone,

I regret that I only spotted this.
Did you have a good time whilst you were in Longford?
How did the research go. Do you require further assistance?

Johnstone. Griffiths Valuation. Ireland 1848-1864
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

All the Best, Christopher

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 06 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

I have  a fantastic time. I went on my own ... which scared me half to death, but I need not have worried as everyone I met in Longford, Killoe and Corboy were absolutely wonderful. I was touched by all the kindness from people who found out that I was researching family. I made a friend for life in a Catholic Reverend who scaled graveyards with me , and drove me to remote locations to search for the old estates.

I know it may sound wierd but as soon as I stepped on Irish soil it felt like I was "home", I felt as if I knew where to go but had never been there in my life. I was walking with my ancestors with out a doubt.

Research wise, I did not find the key info that I needed, but I found out loads of History of the Churches, Townlands and folk tales ... which has been fantastic to study.

Gem
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hei Gem,

Sorry for a couple of days delaying in replying to you. I am glad to hear you had such a good time. Your Catholic Reverend friend sounds as though he was great fun and showing an interest in genealogy too. Did you tell him about Rootschat? Do you think he would like to become a member? I am sorry to note you did not get the key information you require. If you would post it on the board I am sure one or two people will read it and you should get some good replies.

All the Best, Christopher