Author Topic: Hugh Adams  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Adams
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hugh Adams was my great greandfather however I have no record that he married my great grandmother Christina Ross and his son Frederick Hugh Adams is registered as illagitimate. The only information I have on Hugh is on my grandfathers birth registration which states his occupation as Apprentice Law Clerk, family hear say has Hugh and Christina sent to South Africa where Hugh died and Christina returned home. The only evidance I have is that Hugh was working in Elgin around 1884 and that he was one of the informates of the birth with an address in Grayfriers St Elgin. There are several Hugh Adams contenders in Scotland census  but no connecting evidence. if anybody outthere has any words of guidence I would be very  gratfull as Elgin is a long way from Yorkshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Adams
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
hi Carol  :)

looking at the 1881 census there is a hugh adam age 15 born edinkillie moray
living rhynie aberdeen(shire)
parents alexander adam and isabella(mortimer?)
father alexander has birthplace as edinkillie elgin(tailor and clothier)
if hugh adams was an apprentice law clerk in 1884 then i think he would have
been fairly young on the 1881 census  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Adams
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, I think this Hugh might be the number one contender his family had links to the Elgin area so he might have returned to work there and possibly lodge with family, he's also approx the same age as my great grandmother Christina Ross that got pregnant. I just need to get some definite proof he's the one. In the mean time I will try to link this Hugh Adams with any Adam/Adams 's living in Elgin around 1881 to strengthen his case

Big thanks again for such quick help

Carol