Author Topic: Capt. John Humble, Forfarshire shipwreck  (Read 11468 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. John Humble, Forfarshire shipwreck
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:45 GMT (UK) »
marriage:

William Brown Humble = Mary Pearson 28/12/1820 Tynemouth

other children:

William pearson Humble s/o William BH & Mary 20/12/1822

Pearson Humble s/o WBH & Mary 28/3/1826 (born 17/3/1825)

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
christening record of William is on A* in Eng births & baps:

William Brown Humble chr 6/12/1795 Tynemouth
s/o John Humble & Ann

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline JohnAWigham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 December 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Diddy. I'm new to this, so it's very useful to know where to look for parish records.

I wonder if this is the same John Humble. I'm looking for more information about Capt. John Humble and whether his wife was Ann. There is a harrowing account of the wreck that says "The captain stuck to the fore-part of the vessel, which remained fast on the rock, till washed overboard, with his wife in his arms, and both were drowned." They could make a film.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the other places to look are are Durham records online (tynemouth incl):

www.durhamrecordsonline.com

pay to view but quite reasonable. and the Durham Bishops transcripts which incl Northumberland are online at:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1309819&w=0

not indexed so have to know which date you are looking for - but all original.
also some Northumberland transcripts at:

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/Transcripts.html#nbl

that should get you started!!

Diddy  ;)

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 December 10 06:06 GMT (UK) »
See http://sites.google.com/site/soldierssailersandstrangers/burials/burials-1800

This suggests it may be worthwhile looking at the coastal burial records around Holy Island, Warkworth, Embleton

Good luck

Matilda

Offline JohnAWigham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 December 10 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I've worked out that the John Humble who I'm descended from would have to have been at least 70 at the time of the Forfarshire wreck, so I don't think it's him.

If Capt. John Humble was described as being from 'Shields', this could refer to North Shields as well as South Shields - certainly nowadays both towns are abbreviated in that way locally.

There was another Humble family in North Shields, including a John Humble who was born there on 16 April 1781. He'd be 57 in 1838, which is about right.

Offline PorterzPennellz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 12 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Diddy,  you're brilliant!  And John Wigham-- your John Humble WAS Captain John Humble's grandson. 

Diddy's breakthrough hints were spot on: I'd been on the wrong track, looking in South Shields because I'd read that Captain Humble was "of Shields."  As it turns out, Captain Humble lived in North Shields.

I'm still researching, but here's what I've found so far:  As Diddy suggested, the Bishops Transcripts for Durham, which include Northumberland, yielded clues as to Captain Humble's family connections.  From these records, I learned that Captain John Humble and his wife Ann Alexander-- who lived in Toll Square, North Shields but were natives of nearby Newburn--had at least two sons and five daughters.

Here's the record with the most info I've found so far: Baptized 8 December 1797: "Margaret Humble, 5th Daughter of John Humble of Toll Sq., Master Mariner, Native of Newburn by his wife Ann Alexander, Native of Newburn." [From Bishops Transcripts of Durham: Northumberland, Tynemouth, 1762-1813. Image # 256 of 835."

Image # 192 of 835 in this same set of records shows that William Brown Humble--the father of John Wigham's ancestor John Humble--was indeed the son of this John Humble who was a master mariner.

Did a quick search for Newburn marriage records-- lots of Humbles in Newburn, but seemingly not Captain John Humble and Ann Alexander.  You'd think if they were both from there that they would have married there.  Lots more to research.

Thanks so much Diddy-- for all of your great suggestions!
Jenny
Porter, Pennells, Croft, Easton, Ashdown, Harmer, Epthen/Ebden/Epten/Upton (East Sussex)
Stephenson, Young, Knowles, Lambert, Scott, Stead, Loftstadt, Humble, Rose (Newcastle, South Shields, Tynemouth)

Offline PorterzPennellz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 November 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Woops!  Posted too soon.  There were 2 Captain John Humbles of North Shields, probably father and son.  As it looks like you'd both already ascertained, the "John Humble, Master Mariner of North Shields" I spoke of who was fathering lots of children in the 1780s and 1790s was probably too old to have been the Captain John Humble of Forfarshire infamy.   He was already a Master Mariner by the 1790s and would have been elderly by the time of the Forfarshire shipwreck in 1838.  It's more likely that he was the father of Captain John Humble of the Forfarshire.  His son John, baptised 16 April 1781, was likely the Captain John Humble of the ship Forfarshire. Research ongoing.
Porter, Pennells, Croft, Easton, Ashdown, Harmer, Epthen/Ebden/Epten/Upton (East Sussex)
Stephenson, Young, Knowles, Lambert, Scott, Stead, Loftstadt, Humble, Rose (Newcastle, South Shields, Tynemouth)

Offline mrchrisjlee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
I am a direct relation to Cpt John Humble. My grand father was Edgar Humble, my mother is Lauris Lee(nee Humble). I am tracing back the family tree to John's father Andrew and Mother Agnes in Liverpool and Andew's father another Andrew born in Canada. If you are still interested in further information about John Humble, I would be happy to share what I know. Contact me.
Chris Lee
Melbourne Australia