Author Topic: uniform identification? likely Scottish  (Read 1024 times)

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
uniform identification? likely Scottish
« on: Friday 09 April 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, hope anyone can help me identify the corps or regiment of my great grandfather James Morrison.  Looks like a cycle wheel on his right hand sleeve and I think the cap badge looks a bit like the Army Service Corps but I'm really not sure.
He lived in Glasgow and the photo is c1914.  His civilian job was a cartwright so I wondered if the wheel had anything to do with that?  He would be about 40 in the photo. I'd also welcome any info on the crop he is holding - what would it be for?

Further info: His father served in India in the 1st Madras Fusiliers and the 74th Highland Regiment of Foot in 1850s. Sadly his own eldest son William died in Mesopotamia in 1917. 

thanks
lynn
Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: uniform identification? likely Scottish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Morning Lynn,
The cap badge, does as you say, look like that of the Army Service Corps however a better high res' scan of the badge may confirm that. The wheel on his upper arm is a trade badge and indicates that he was a wheeler and carpenter.
The wearing of the bandolier across his chest would signify that he was mounted and as he has a crop in his hand I would suggest that he may have been a driver within the corps. Having looked on the MIC's held at Kew there appears to be 23  James Morrison's who served with the A.S.C. so unless he had a middle name you may have difficulty in obtaining the correct medal card for him.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
OR, Thanks so much for your quick reply.
The scan is the best I've got (sent over from my cousin in NZ) but I'll see if I can get a higher res.  Thanks for confirming the wheel as a trade badge for a wheeler or carpenter - that certainly fits in with his civilian trade.  By driver do you mean a driver of a horse / cart? I'll look again for military docs now that the ASC is a more viable corps (no middle name unfortunately and I've previously looked for service records but couldn't find any).  Thanks again,

Lynn
Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
With the evidence of a long crop that he is holding I would suggest that it would be more of a team of horses that he would be attending too rather than a single horse (whereby he would be using a short crop). The term "driver" used in this sense would be that he may have riden a lead horse rather than be seated on a board at the front of a wagon holding the reins. I am sure that someone would correct me if I am wrong on this point.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop