Author Topic: William Jones birth - Michaelstone Super Avon (1873/4)  (Read 1067 times)

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
William Jones birth - Michaelstone Super Avon (1873/4)
« on: Friday 09 April 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
I've been tracing my great grandfather Benjamin Jones who on the 1901 census for Michaelestone Lower resided at 22 Miners Row age 27. In 1891 he appears two doors down at No 20 with his parents William and Margaret as a 17 year old and in 1881 as a 7 years old.

So I felt relatively safe in thinking he was born 1873 or 1874. I obtained the birth certificate of who I thought it was (born 1873) only to find it was the birth record of Benjamin - father-  William Jones (correct occupation of engine driver) but wife Hannah and the address was Tymaen Street. Ive not as yet been able to confirm for sure where William Jones resided in 1871 but it is possible that Hannah died and William remarried.

I would be very grateful if someone could check the parish records for Michaelstone Super Avon for the birth of a Benjamin Jones during 1873 or 1874 to see how many Benjamin's I need to investigate.

Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones birth - Michaelstone Super Avon (1873/4)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Looks the same birth place for William

1871 Rg10/5425 folio 96 page 39Michaelstone Lower Llandaff Glamorgan Reg district Neath

32 Tymaan Street
William Jones age 31 engine driver born Llanwinio? Carmarthenshire
Hannah wife age 27 Swansea Glamorgan
William son age 9 rest born Cumavon? Glamorgan
Mary dau age 10
Martha dau age 8
Elizabeth dau age 6

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones birth - Michaelstone Super Avon (1873/4)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

Yes that 1871 census backs up that Benjamin being the son of a William and Hannah as its unlikely (but not impossible) that there are two William Jones from Llanwinio in Michaelstone super avon around that time.

I'm looking to see if there are any other Benjamin's born in the village around that time to a William and Margaret. It is looking like Hannah may have died between 1871 and 1881 and Margaret married William in the meantime but I'd just like to ensure there arent any other Benjamin's knocking around to cast more doubt on that 1871 census. What makes me slightly twitchy is that the 1881 census shows:

William
Margaret
John 17
Elizabeth 13
Benjamin 7
but no Mary or Martha and the son is called John not William.
Their living in a different street to which isnt a big deal but it all stops me being 100% happy that its the same family.

I tried previously to look up William's potential marrage to Margaret to see if it tied in with him remarrying. One I found was much earlier in 1870 with William marrying a Margaret Evans in Cwmavon so had been expecting to see a 1871 census for them but no luck.

There is a William and Margaret on the 1871 census for Michaelstone but they only have one son (no Elizabeth). He has the name of John but he's logged as 1 day old so I dont think that can be them.

If there arent any other Benjamin's being born in the village around 1873/74 I think I'd make the leap of faith that this is the correct family.
Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie