Author Topic: 1840s parish register lookup THOMPSON - FITZGERALD  (Read 4014 times)

Offline nugget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1840s parish register lookup THOMPSON - FITZGERALD
« on: Friday 09 April 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I would appreciate if someone were able to look up a marriage and if possible a subsequent birth/christening which may have occurred in Waterford somewhere around the early to mid 1840s. The details I have for dates etc in Ireland come from England 1851 and 1861 Census:

George Forbes Thompson - Born 1789 in London, Father's name is John Thompson, Mother's name Judith
Mary Fitzgerald - Born about 1820 in Waterford, Father's name is John Fitzgerald (Taken from a certficate from 2nd marriage in England)

1st child Mary Ann Elizabeth Thompson - Born about 1845 in Ireland (Waterford?)

I am only presuming this marriage may be in Waterford as Mary was born there. George was an army man in the Royal Engineers and must have been over there in the 1840s. As an army man he would have moved about a bit so if this didn't happen in Waterford can anyone suggest how best to track them down?

Thanks
Richard

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 1840s parish register lookup THOMPSON - FITZGERALD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
It would possibly help if you mentioned the families religion and the parish they may have been married in ... i.e. were they somewhere in Waterford City or county ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nugget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
      I wish I had those details but the only reference I have is from a census in England and that simply states Mary's place of birth as 'Waterford, Ireland'. Religion I'm not sure how to determine exactly either. Mary's second marriage in England was in the parish church in St George Hanover Square so maybe one could presume they were Anglican, but I'm not sure if that follows necessarily.
I'm guessing this is a bit of a needle in a hay stack search without further info so any suggestions as to how I can narrow the field a bit would be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if military records might be a way to find out more about the locations the family lived - might be worth posting details of George in the military section here on rootschat to see if anyone can help with the various postings for his unit.

The problem is that Waterford might be a little vague as a location as it is both the name of a city and a county, so quite a wide area to cover. see for example the number of Civil (roughly the same as many of the Church of Ireland parishes) and Catholic parishes in the county : Waterford, Civil Parishes and Catholic Parishes, plus there are additional city parishes

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nugget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
After looking at those maps I see what you mean. Thanks for posting the links they might be useful in the future.
I might give the military angle another go as you suggest. I did enquire recently about getting George's service record but was told that would probably not contain all that much detail. Perhaps details on where his regiment were located may be available.

Richard

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 April 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
I'd say the main barracks would have  been in Waterford City somewhere (possibly more than one?) and another in Dungarvan, which is in the west of the county, but there could have been other smaller barracks and military installations around the county.

Shane
My Surname Interests