Author Topic: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889  (Read 9537 times)

Offline KDD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 January 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Somewhere I have a transcript of Elizabeth Dawson's will (and I think her husband's) and can look it out if you think it will throw added light on the matter.

Keith Dawson.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 January 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Dawson's Will has been transcribed in the Will book and available to read online at www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I now have William and Anna's marriage certificate. Unfortunately I have not heard of the witnesses before, but it does say that William's father was another William and that he had been a Lieutenant in the 99th Regt of Infantry. I  know William Jnr was born in Tipperary and i have found that a 99th regt of foot was raised in that county but was disbanded. The 99th seem to have been appeared and disappeared several times. I can't find anything on Ancestry nor on the Imperial War Museum site, which says a lot of early service records were destroyed during WW2. I'm guessing that William senior would have been serving around the time of his son's birth and maybe up to Waterloo.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 January 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I'm mystified as to why none of the references I have from people who knew William Mathew failed to record a second marriage or any mention of Anna Sophia and why Mathew's gravestone, which is in the Annagh parish church yard, Belturbet, bears the inscription,

In loving memory of William Hewetson Mathew, Late Sub Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary who died June 17 1889 aged 86 years. Erected by his affectionate grandchildren.

Photo here..  http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/cavan/photos/tombstones/belturbet-coi/target22.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 January 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
What a fantastic surprise, I had never seen William's gravestone before, thank you very much Hallmark.