Author Topic: Hart of Sligo/ Offaly  (Read 8661 times)

Offline dani948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hart of Sligo/ Offaly
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 March 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a Dominick Hart (1881-1964). He was born in Sligo, died in Jersey City, New Jersey, US. Came to the US around 1907, and was married to Sarah Curry (1891?-1937).  Have not been able to find out anything else about him including the names of his parents.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 March 11 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a Dominick Hart (1881-1964). He was born in Sligo, died in Jersey City, New Jersey, US. Came to the US around 1907, and was married to Sarah Curry (1891?-1937).  Have not been able to find out anything else about him including the names of his parents.

Have you tried searching for him in Scotland in 1901 census? A Dominick Hart, age 26, born Sligo arrived New York on Caledonia from Glasgow, Scotland on 15 Apr.1907- last address was Govan, Scotland. The 2nd page of manifest should give next of kin in U.K. (you may have to do a bit of searching to find that page since it's not the one before or after the 1st page)

It's also possible that his marriage and/or death certificates will list names of both parents- many certificates from U.S. states do so.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dbted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 12 03:11 GMT (UK) »
My father"s names was Dominick Hart; my grandfather's name was Michael Hart.  My father was born in Glasgow, Scotland where my grandfather went for work and where he met and married my grandmother, Mary McGovern. After my father;s birth in 1907 the family moved back to my grandfather's family home in Sligo where he left my father and his mother while he left for the States.  He apparently settled in Jersey City and found work as a sandhog working on the Holland and other tunnels under the Hudson from NJ to NY.  By 1909 he saved enough to pay the passage of my grandmother and father who traveled to the States on the Caledonia, out of Londinderry and landing in Ny October 11, 1909.
My grandfather died in 1959.  I'm not certain of his birthdate but it would have been about 1878.  The Dominick you are looking for may well be my father's uncle as my grandfather had a brother Dominick who lived in Jersey City and who, though I did not know him well, I met on several occasions.  He did have children, my father's cousins whom I also met and who also lived in Jersey City.  As I recall my father's Uncle Dominick was younger than my grandfather; so your dates would work.  There is, by the way, a lawyer who works in Jersey City named Dominick Hart. I never met him but think he may be a grandchild of my father's Uncle Dominick.   (How many unrelated "Dominick Harts' could there be in Jersey City!)  My brother knows more of the family details than I, and, if this is a lead you wish to follow, I will get what information he has and pass it on.  I am sure he would know the names of my father's Uncle Dominick's children.  I'm beginning some genealogical work of my own and would be delighted to hear back from you.

Best,

dbted

Offline dani948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 July 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
My father"s names was Dominick Hart; my grandfather's name was Michael Hart.  My father was born in Glasgow, Scotland where my grandfather went for work and where he met and married my grandmother, Mary McGovern. After my father;s birth in 1907 the family moved back to my grandfather's family home in Sligo where he left my father and his mother while he left for the States.  He apparently settled in Jersey City and found work as a sandhog working on the Holland and other tunnels under the Hudson from NJ to NY.  By 1909 he saved enough to pay the passage of my grandmother and father who traveled to the States on the Caledonia, out of Londinderry and landing in Ny October 11, 1909.
My grandfather died in 1959.  I'm not certain of his birthdate but it would have been about 1878.  The Dominick you are looking for may well be my father's uncle as my grandfather had a brother Dominick who lived in Jersey City and who, though I did not know him well, I met on several occasions.  He did have children, my father's cousins whom I also met and who also lived in Jersey City.  As I recall my father's Uncle Dominick was younger than my grandfather; so your dates would work.  There is, by the way, a lawyer who works in Jersey City named Dominick Hart. I never met him but think he may be a grandchild of my father's Uncle Dominick.   (How many unrelated "Dominick Harts' could there be in Jersey City!)  My brother knows more of the family details than I, and, if this is a lead you wish to follow, I will get what information he has and pass it on.  I am sure he would know the names of my father's Uncle Dominick's children.  I'm beginning some genealogical work of my own and would be delighted to hear back from you.

Best,

dbted

I have not checked my post in awhile, hopefully you get this message.  I would love to be in further contact with you.  My Dominick had 3 children Mary, Cecelia, and Martin.  Hopefully these are the children you knew.  Please reply back if you get this message, as I have a lot more information now to share and would love to connect with other relatives!

Offline dbted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 01:12 BST (UK) »
I have been traveling and just found your post.  I don't know my great Uncle Dominick's children's names; so do not know if he is the Dominick you are searching for, but I will endeavor to find out and get back to you within the week.

dbted