Author Topic: No death date???  (Read 3185 times)

Offline bullfrog1995

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandma Sarah H. Allen
    • View Profile
No death date???
« on: Sunday 11 April 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I do not know much about gravestones so I thought I would post my question here. My great-grandfather was born in 1887 and died in 1970. I found an obituary for him that says

"Interment was at Forest Glen Cemetery"

So Since I live a few minutes away I walked over and looked for his stone and I found it. It said Becker at the top and had Edgar W and Helen K.

1887 Edgar W
1896 Helen K 1965

It does not show a death date for Edgar and I'm wondering why??? I know he was living in the town that he died in and that the cemetery was in that town also. I'm just wondering if there is an explination for why his death date is not on the stone. The obituary did say was at Forest Glen Cemetery.

Hopefully someone can explain this, I will attatch the photo to show.

Thank you all so much!

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: No death date???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can think of is that when the stone was ordered there wasn't a request lodged as part of the purchase requiring a death date to be incised for him. Or, maybe the company that made the stone went out of business..... or the owner died and no one took over his records etc.

My mum made a specific request when she ordered the stone for my dad and herself. Under no circumstances was it to have her date of birth. She was a year older than my dad  ;D

However, something got lost in the transition of records over the 30 odd years after my dad's death. Yes, when she died her birth date was put on the stone  :-X Sorry mum  ::)

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan