Author Topic: are these places anywhere near each other  (Read 9944 times)

Offline MJ53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
are these places anywhere near each other
« on: Sunday 11 April 10 05:15 BST (UK) »
I have Edward Kealy 1797-1867 came to Australia as convict in 1822 born at Castle Dorough Kilkenny, co Kilkenny and what apears to be his son Patrick 1817-1901 born at Mahooly, Kilkenny.  Edward must have been married before his conviction and he started a new family with Mary Lannen in 1824.  looks like Patrick came looking for father in 1835.

Marilyn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: are these places anywhere near each other
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 10 10:18 BST (UK) »
I dont see any townlands in Co. Kilkenny with names of 'Castle Dorough' or 'Mahooly', so I cant help with working out a distance between them. You can search the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad and see if anything looks familiar..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder could Castle Dorough be Durrow, Laois, not too far from Kilkenny? There is a 16th century castle there. Maybe the family worked there. Other than that Castlecomer springs to mind. Could Mahooly be Muckalee, Kilkenny?
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline MJ53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
These explanations both sound feasible Durrow being spelt wrong and the Irish pronunciation could be Muckalee.  I often have tried saying names out loud to think of different spelling. Are these places Castle Durrow and Muckalee close to each other because  Edward Kealy 1797-1867 could have worked as a farm labourer.  When sent to Australia for 7 years was given and overseer's position so have to assume he had some knowledge to be assigned before he arrives. He left behind a 5 year old son who when 18 came to Australia.  It is the son recorded as born in Mahooly/Muckalee. 
Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Durrow, County Laois and Muckalee, County Kilkenny are just over 25km apart by road - see google map Durrow to Muckalee

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
If you look at this 1st edition OSI map (1820s/40s) you can actually see a property to the west of Durrow town marked as Castle Durrow : Durrow Town  (click on historic, or historic bw options)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
MJ53 I think Castle Durrow is definitely right see this http://www.igp-web.com/laois/civilparishes/DurrowCP.htm
Durrow was known as Castle-Durrow. It was chiefly in the barony of Galmoy, Co Kilkenny
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline MJ53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you
I now know Patrick Kealy and Katherine Bowe were married 3 May 1843 Catholic Church, Muckalee, Kilkenny.  Now my question is where is ballyfoyle were they were both born. All the time I try to understand the county, parish system ?
Thanks
Marilyn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you
I now know Patrick Kealy and Katherine Bowe were married 3 May 1843 Catholic Church, Muckalee, Kilkenny.  Now my question is where is ballyfoyle were they were both born. All the time I try to understand the county, parish system ?
Thanks
Marilyn

There's a townland named Ballyfoyle just 4km north of Mukalee - see google map : Mukalee to Ballyfoyle

from memory (so might not be perfect...) - list of land divisions, from largest to smallest :

Province
  County
  Poor Law Union (Registration District)
  Barony
  Civil Parish
  Townland

The borders of some of these can get a bit complicated - e.g.. townlands can sometimes be split between civil parishes, Poor Law union districts can cover areas in more than one county etc..

As well as these there are Catholic parishes, which are different to Civil/Church of Ireland parishes, and RC and CofI Diocese.

Shane
My Surname Interests