Author Topic: Maurice Blaney Murphy...Mount Plummer  (Read 6558 times)

Offline murphy girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maurice Blaney Murphy...Mount Plummer
« on: Sunday 11 April 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to assist in helping me locate info about the birth of my G. G. Grandfather  who I believe was born in Mount Plummer, Limerick somewhere between 1825 and 1830. (Date discrepancy is due to differing dates on docs I already have on hand).
He was known as MAURICE BLANEY MURPHY though I am led to believe his father's name was John Blaney and his mother's name Mary Murphy. I have always known he was born in Limerick, however birth certificate of one of his sons born in Australia (he arrived in Melbourne in 1857) now shows he MBM was born in Mount Plummer.
Many thanks.  Murphy Girl.

Offline smudgekitten

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Blaney Murphy...Mount Plummer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Murphy Girl,

We seem to be after the same person - Mr Maurice Blaney Murphy.  He died in West Melbourne in 1896?  Even though you say you're a novice, you are much further ahead with this line that I am.  This is my husband's Family - Maurice's daughter Mary Ann Margaret b.1853 m. John Murphy b.1847, daughter Kathleen Nora b.1894 m. Valentine Connell b.1891, *** Where do you fit in this?  Would love to know if I can help with your search.  All the best, Deb

***Moderator's Note: recent details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.

Offline murphy girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your note of 6th October but I have been away on holidays and have just returned.
I fit into the Murphy tree this way.
My Grandmother Mary Alice Murphy was the child of Mary Anne & John Murphy, not too sure where she fitted in in terms of the children's ages, though I do have it somewhere.
My cousin and I together with a relative of John Murphy, her great grandmother was John Murphy's sister have accumulated quite an amount of info about Maurice Blaney Murohy and I would be happy to share this with you and your husband.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Murphy girl 

Offline kimary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Murphy girl
I am another descendant of Maurice Blaney Murphy. I have started to gather info about his time in Melbourne, and with so many Maurice's it is quite confusing. Your info abt his life prior to coming to Australia was very interesting. I thought  from UK BDM that it looked like he married in Whitechapel September 1851. I do not have original certs. to confirm this.  I was trying to fill in the background for Henry Murphy who was killed in WW1 for this centenary year. Would love to share and swap any info with you. 
cheers Kimary

Offline murphy girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimary,
According to our family research Henry Blaney Murphy who died at Gallipoli was born in 1890. He is the son of Henry Patrick Blaney Murphy born at Port Fairy (Victoria)  in 1858 who is the brother of my great grandmother Maryanne Murphy born in Portland. England in 1853 so most of our research is based around her. Was wondering what line of MBM are you descended from ?

Kind regards,
Murphy Girl.

Offline kimary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Murphy  girl
 Great to hear from you, thanks for replying.
I think we may have the same great great grandmother in Maryanne.
I am related  by Maurice Michael  Murphy her 6th child, then Mary Adelaide Murphy, his first born, she is my grandmother.
I have been doing Family History for the last 20 years and I have a variety of bits and pieces, what ever I can follow and what ever interests me for the moment.
I have some info on the Isabella Burt Hill line from Scotland. She was Maurice ‘s wife.
I don’t have much on overseas info generally, and most of my info is handwritten. Don’t seem to be able to master the computer programs to make them useful for me. I am happy to pass on whatever you may like to add to your tree.
But I have been finding Maurice ‘s life fascinating and I have rediscovered him though Henry.
I have just joined RootsChat so I am still finding out how to use it successfully.
Once again so glad to make contact.
Cheers Kimary

Offline murphy girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimary,

Yes, it would appear that we have a connection to Maryanne Murphy, however she is my great grandmother (not great great) as I am the grandaughter of Mary Alice  Murphy the 5th child of John & Maryanne Murphy.
Not Too sure if you have the names of all the children of Maryanne & John so just in case you don't they are: John, Ellen, Arthur, Margaret (Maggie), Mary (my grandmother). Maurice, Henry, Louisa & Kathleen. As you can imagine over a period of time families lose contact with each other and I don't have a lot of info on most of them so it is great to make contact with you. Do you have any details of other branches of the Murphy family or only your own.? Look forward to further contact with you. Murphy Girl.

Offline kimary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 15 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thursday is my day off and I try and do a little on the old family tree. Like you I only have what is publicly available and nothing much  on the recent  living descendants. Even the info on my own branch is a bit patchy- sometimes you don’t like to intrude on non family history type people. There is one living child of Maurice and Isabella and she is now 90. I have got some photos of her siblings and some others  that I am happy to pass on. I think photos and news reports and artefacts really bring the past alive.
I am only now trying to write a timeline of people and events to fill in the picture a bit more. The collecting part is addictive, the collation part more tedious. It seems the Murphys were mobile, moving to  WA  and Sydney.
My daughter went to Lone Pine 2 years ago and took some lovely photos of the memorial for Henry and the surrounding area at Gallipoli. You can get these online I think but it was nice to have family in the photos too. You can have these if you want.
I have been following the Maurice Blaney trail which took me to the hotels of Melbourne and the Owl club and then to the Old Melbourne Cemetery. It seems Maurice or MB was a very entertaining fellow and I’m not sure if this is the elder or younger Maurice. I was going to check timeline and dates to see if that helps to identify which one.  Would you know the answer to this mystery?
Do you have a picture of Maurice the First? If there ever was one, I wonder where it could have ended up. His Will makes for interesting reading.
Lovely to hear from you. Happy hunting. Cheers Kimary