Author Topic: WW1 Soldier died 1916  (Read 4786 times)

Offline staceyk84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WW1 Soldier died 1916
« on: Monday 12 April 10 10:33 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for records on Willam Atkinson Dawson who died on the 15 September 1916 France and Flanders killed in action, i have found his death plus a few medal roll index cards, can anybody please point me in the right direction of anything else about William? 

I do not believe his service record survived as it is not on ancestry, i have found William on the cwcg site.  From what i can see he was in France the year before he was killed but i haven't found anything else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

William Atkinson Dawson
Died 15 Sep 1916 Killed in Action
Private, Northumberland Fusiliers
1/6th Battalion (Territorial).
Regiment number - 2335
Theatre of War:    Aldershot

Thanks in advance  :)
Riley of Connacht and Salford. 

Patton/Lockett/Farran/Taylor of Salford/Manchester. 

Love/Hamilton of Armagh/Salford.

Marshall/Dobinson/(Ledger)Martin/Dawson/Robson/Reed/Harrison/Cock/Wilkinson/Mackay of Northumberland & Durham(Seaton Delavel, Hartley, Monkseaton, N&S.Shields)

Crossland/Ives/Dyson of Ashton/Stalybridge/Yorkshire.

Leigh of Heyrod.  Laughlan of Ireland.  Crawford of Scotland, Canada and Ashton Under Lyne/Kent.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Soldier died 1916
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 10 10:48 BST (UK) »

Are you wanting to know about his war service or his family?. Did you see the parents names and address at the CWGC site? -

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
the regimental museum might be able to help

Offline staceyk84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe thanks for replying i know William's parents it is more his service records that i would be interested in but as i said i do not think they survived but i may be wrong, it would be nice to find out what happened to William if i could but i am not quite sure where to look i have tried google and a few roll of honour sites and found nothing on William.

Marshall/Dobinson/(Ledger)Martin/Dawson/Robson/Reed/Harrison/Cock/Wilkinson/Mackay of Northumberland & Durham(Seaton Delavel, Hartley, Monkseaton, N&S.Shields)

Leigh of Heyrod.  Laughlan of Ireland.  Crawford of Scotland, Canada and Ashton Under Lyne/Kent.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
This site is a useful starting point for further research:

http://www.1914-1918.net/

You could also try the local library for the relevant back issues of the local paper - it's also worth checking if he is on any local war memorial - sometimes the local archive has the original records for memorials and those could contain additional details.

The war diary for the Battalion - held at Kew - would also tell you what happened on the day your man died. It is Ref: WO 95/2829

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline staceyk84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i am not local to Newcastle so all my research has to be done online i cannot go to the libraries/museums. 

Thanks for the help  :)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 April 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
maybe if you write to  /phone the regimental museum they would be able to send you some stuff.. also try posting on armed forces board they migth know more
best
jed

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 April 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
That 'theatre of war - Aldershot' -is an error in Ancestry's system which many have pointed out without any action being taken.  It is far more likely to have been 'France & Flanders'.

Have you found his entry in the War Graves Commission's Debt of Honour Register, which gives this:
"DAWSON, WILLIAM ATKINSON
W A
United Kingdom
Private
Northumberland Fusiliers
1st/6th Bn.
15/09/1916
Son of Matthew Harrison Dawson and Charlotte Anne Dawson, of 48, Lovaine Place, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Commonwealth War Dead
Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B.
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL"

This means that he has no known grave but is commemorated, along with many, many others on the great memorial to the missing of the Somme.  It is likelt that he was a Territorial.  The Great War Forum has people who may be able to help with extracts from the battalion's war diary:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
A

Offline staceyk84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jed and Ainslie, William was Territorial, i have another relative on cwgc also who is remembered but not buried as his body was lost at sea but i have still found out what happened to him so was hoping i can do the same for William.  Thanks again  :)

P.S I have found the war grave entry ainslie it is on commonwealth war graves commission and says the same thanks.