Author Topic: WW1 Soldier died 1916  (Read 4787 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Soldier died 1916
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 April 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
If his records arent on ancestry its doubtful they survived the luftwaffe in WW2 only approx 30% do  :(

Jds suggestion is what you need to do and  get copies of the Unit War Diary for 1/6th NF on Sept 1916 that should give you an idea of what they were up to.

Again you may get lucky with an obituary in the local papers...if you can pinpoint a part of Newcastle there may be a local history group you can get in touch with to help you.

Ady

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 April 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
http://www.4thbnnf.com/34_160914_flerscourcelette.html

Think you will find this interesting 1/4th had the same record as 1/6th NF part of 50th Div
Battle of Flers Corcelette and High Wood.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline staceyk84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 April 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ady, i will look at the link, i have read a little of what William's regiment were doing in France but i am sure there is more for me to see. 

:)

I also think that if William's record survived Ancestry would have it but i have checked and it is not there, there are a few William Dawson but no William Atkinson Dawson's and none of the service numbers match William's anyhow.

Thanks again.
Riley of Connacht and Salford. 

Patton/Lockett/Farran/Taylor of Salford/Manchester. 

Love/Hamilton of Armagh/Salford.

Marshall/Dobinson/(Ledger)Martin/Dawson/Robson/Reed/Harrison/Cock/Wilkinson/Mackay of Northumberland & Durham(Seaton Delavel, Hartley, Monkseaton, N&S.Shields)

Crossland/Ives/Dyson of Ashton/Stalybridge/Yorkshire.

Leigh of Heyrod.  Laughlan of Ireland.  Crawford of Scotland, Canada and Ashton Under Lyne/Kent.