Author Topic: Convict - Phillis HEASEMAN/HEASMAN NSW 1816 - onwards - tracking her time in NSW  (Read 2419 times)

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Good evening all

Well I am still trying to track the movements of my convict girl Phillis Heaseman/Heasman/Neaseman/Eastmond (aliases just to name a few).

My question and puzzle is to how she ended up in VDL circa 1820/1821 where she married fellow convict Richard Pitt. Searches in the past have come up with zilch in regards to any records of her arriving in VDL.

Here is what I have on her before her marriage in VDL to Richard.

- Convicted @ the Old Bailey under the name of Phineas Eastmond 5th April 1815.
- Transport on the Mary Anne 1 arriving NSW 19/1/1816.
- Absconds & is reported to be missing from the 4/10/1817 till the 17/1/1818 ( this info I found on the NLA Newspapers site - great resource).
- On a list of prisoners to be sent to Newcastle per Lady Nelson 12th May 1818 - it states she was convicted by a Mr Wentworth on the 4th May 1818 for 1 yr.

Thats it until she shows up in VDL where she married a Richard Pitt in 1821 Launceston.

I am not sure if I can find anything else on Phillis I think maybe I have come to the end of the line here. Any ideas peeps on where I can go to next ??????

Regards Troods

Edit - Phillis's original sentence @ the Old Bailey was for a term of 7 years.
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is a Phillis Darcy/Darcey who appears in NSW newspapers around 1819/1820 (notices of "leaving the colony", also charged with receiving stolen goods but acquitted in 1820).  Can't seem to find much else about her but wondered if there might be a connection?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Troods,

From the NSW convict disposal lists:

1816  Nurse at Parramatta Hospital  (Phillis HESMEN)

1818  Hospital Nurse  (Phillis HESMON)

1820  Government Factory  (Phillis HESMAN)

1821  Government Factory  (Phillis HISMAN)

If you go to the Tas archives site, and index to convicts search, you can enter 1821 in the year box, and "NSW" in the remarks box.  This will give you a list of convicts transported/transferred to Tas in that year who had previously been transported to NSW.  There are only a few women and Phillis is not there.  Not all records have survived, but perhaps she was simply assigned there.

I see Ann NEWPORT who went to Tas in April 1821 has an entry in the Col Sec Papers:

NEWPORT, Ann. Per "Catherine", 1814
1821 Mar 14
Permitted to proceed per "St Michael" to Van Diemen's Land to enter service of Mr and Mrs Raine

and Mary TANGNEY a few years later:
Permitted to proceed on the "St Michael" to Port Dalrymple in the service of Mrs Thompson

Perhaps Phillis' skills as a nurse also made her attractive to Tas settlers.

Debra

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jorose, I checked out Phillis DARCY, and she was "free by birth in NSW" and left on the Brig Daphne, "bound for the Fijis for sandalwood" - how exotic!!  8)

Debra

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Thanks to you both Jorose & Debra.

Wow this lady continues to amaze me with her interesting life - a nurse hey. So much variation with the surname too. No wonder she used many names during her lifetime.

Will check out the link too on the Tasmanian archives site. Thanks peeps

Troods :) :) :) :)
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz