Author Topic: 1871 & 1891 census for Shelley family in Chipping Norton  (Read 5574 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 & 1891 census for Shelley family in Chipping Norton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 March 05 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes Debbie That was what I was busy focussing in on as I thought it should be Berks not Bucks but it does say Bucks (I even went off googling to see if there was a Langford in Bucks)....Maybe the enumerator made a mistake too....LOL.....Shirley does seem a bit removed from Shelley but stranger things have happened....If you are not finding any of them in the GRO index then varients/name changes certainly do need to be considered....Good Luck with it. Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 March 05 12:30 GMT (UK) »
No Debbie....Thats not it...Deff doesn't start with a H...Im trying to work out what it says..Looks to me something like Wornehill. Been Looking through the Glos indexes and cant c anything to fit...On Googing I see there is a Wormhill but it appears to be in Derbyshire...Kris  ???
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 March 05 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Debbie,

I concur with Kris - I've now blown the image up as far as I can without losing clarity and it looks to be Wxxxhill.   I've even got my wife to have a look (who is normally great when I get stuck) and she agrees it looks like Worm or Worne.   I've got some large scale digital mapping witha gazeteer and I have been through every xxxxhill in Gloucestershire - no joy I'm afraid.

Drat
Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 March 05 13:38 GMT (UK) »
This family are proving such a mystery - I am starting to wonder if William murdered his first wife and changed names and places thereafter to avoid detection - only joking ;)

but thanks for trying

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just noticed this old thread. I expect this has been sorted out in the years since, but if not, William was my GGGrandfather, Ive researched the family deeply and have a lot of information on the family. William was born William Shayler in Langford (formerly Berkshire, now Oxfordshire) in 1832, son of William Shayler and Elizabeth Sanigar. After a spell in Oxford Jail for stealing bacon in 1851, he married Jane Herbert of Coln St.Aldwyns in 1855, the couple moving through various locations as farm labourers. Jane died following the birth of their fifth child Arthur at Oxford Radcliffe Infirmary in 1870. By then they had changed their name to Shelley - I have no idea why! Janes death is registered as Jane Shelley, so the name change presumably occured before her death, though its possible William changed it when she died to avoid some kind of death duties? William, now known as William Shelley, then remarried Jane Empson of Chipping Norton in 1871, settled in Spring Street and had a further five children with her before she too died in 1901.  At some point in the 1880s William was the landlord of the Blue Boar pub. He stayed in Chipping Norton until at least 1907, being listed as a shopkeeper at 14 New Street in that year. William Shelley was still alive in 1911, living with his son Arthur in Pilly Boldre, Hampshire. I have a photo that in all probability is him, though Ive not been able to trace a death record. All the evidence is on my Ancestry tree, if anyone needs details let me know.  :)
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.