Author Topic: Lost Cousins  (Read 2072 times)

Offline yorkierose

• RootsChat Member
  • "I come from a long line of dead people"
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 15:22 BST (UK) »
I've added quite a few families on the site but not found anyone I didn't already have contact with and who I'd recommended the site to anyway.   It must still be fairly new - the more that join, the more chance of finding a connection.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br />Addy/Addey, Agar, Tate, Heald, Hobman, Battle, Cawood, Thompson, Wilkes, Lucas, Evans, Foskette/Foxcotte/Foscott (Mainly Yorkshire, Staffordshire & Buckinghamshire)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
I've put in about 150 names altogether and been connected to 4 "new" cousins. However, these are either cousins I've referred to the site, or ones I was already in contact with. At least that is proof that the site works.

As an advantage, it did make me check all the entries once again, and I found a couple of mistakes. It also prompted me to look for other members in census on either side of 1881, and thus managed to find a couple of other "new names" for the tree.

All in all, I do think that the site is worth it, but wouldn't pay to use it.

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 15:42 BST (UK) »
I think the advantage of this site is that once you've gone through the exercise of entering all your names (a bit of a nuisance, but as D ap D says, sometimes useful as a check!), you don't need to do anything more - just wait for those potential cousins to join the site.  I keep going back to Genes Reunited to see if 2 people who have relatives of mine in their tree have replied to my messages, but so far no joy.... 

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 05 03:53 BST (UK) »
Well I'm pleased that I'm not alone. I was reading all the messages on Lost cousins - enter your relatives and find long lost cousins in hours. So I carefully entered about 40 relatives.

Nothing. Nada. No response....yet.

I'll leave my info there but I just think that for some reasons Burrows from Devon just dont feel the need to research their families.  Mores the pity.  They are missing out on a huge family of Burrows in New Zealand.  :)

My gt grandparents emigrated from Plymouth in Devon to NZ in 1886.

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland