Author Topic: Clackmannanshire - Old and New  (Read 2333 times)

Offline wrightt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clackmannanshire - Old and New
« on: Tuesday 13 April 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
I am visiting my grandmother's family home in Tillicoultry early in May, and in my genealogical searches have found family members scattered throughout Clackmannanshire - not only in Tillicoultry, but also in Alloa, Tullibody and  Clackmannan, then extending out beyond the county to Crieff, Perth and elsewhere.
My question is this - as someone noted, it is an incredible thing to walk the streets your ancestors walked, but how much of what is there today would they recognize? Have these communities been mostly remade or are there areas or enclaves that have remained mostly untouched for the last hundred or so years?  I know that change inevitably comes, but I have seen areas in my own experience that underwent extensive 'urban renewal' only to have great anguish later over what was lost. I'm curious as to how the Scottish communities have fared in this regard.
Archibald, Smeaton, Nicol, Culbertson, Kirk, McDougall, Ewan, Currlie, Drummond, Fleeming, Reid, Dawson, Crawford, Johnstone, Shiels in Tillicoultry, Tullibody, Alloa, Stirling, Crieff, Perth, Kinross, Falkirk