Author Topic: Holmes family from Donegal  (Read 15513 times)

Offline cathyrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes family from Donegal
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 July 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
The only site I've found for church birth records prior to the time of the Civil Records is rootsireland, which is a paying site. However, I see there that Margaret Carland (Presbyterian) address Advarnock, father John, Farmer married Thomas Holmes (Presbyterian) Advarnock father John Holmes, farmer. Date 8-Mar 1860. There is a townland called Advarnock Glebe in Raphoe Parish. You can try to determine which Presbyterian church they may have attended. Look at donegalgenealogy.com under the Raphoe parish, they've got a great map of the townlands in each parish as well as other information that pertains to this parish. Now that you have a townland you can see what's listed in Griffith's Valuations. You can also try a search for Advarnock in britishnewspapers.com. You can pay a small fee for 24 use. Good luck!
CLIMO Bodmin; Marshall, Bullock
SIMMONS Nantwich; Tomkinson, Lloyd, Lockett
STRACHAN Portsea; Abercrombie
THYR Gavleborg, Sweden; Wickstrom
BOUMA Friesland; Nauta
WILSON Slievebuck Raphoe Donegal
HOLMES Donaghmore Donegal
GALBRAITH Craighadoes Taughboyne Donegal
ARMOUR Rylands Donegal

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 July 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat   :)

The only site I've found for church birth records prior to the time of the Civil Records is rootsireland, which is a paying site. However, I see there that Margaret Carland (Presbyterian) address Advarnock, father John, Farmer married Thomas Holmes (Presbyterian) Advarnock father John Holmes, farmer. Date 8-Mar 1860. There is a townland called Advarnock Glebe in Raphoe Parish. You can try to determine which Presbyterian church they may have attended. Look at donegalgenealogy.com under the Raphoe parish, they've got a great map of the townlands in each parish as well as other information that pertains to this parish. Now that you have a townland you can see what's listed in Griffith's Valuations. You can also try a search for Advarnock in britishnewspapers.com. You can pay a small fee for 24 use. Good luck!

The townland is Ardvarnock Glebe.
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/raphoe/figart/ardvarnock-glebe/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline cathyrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the spelling error...actually I was just copying the record as written. The devil is always in the details. ::)
CLIMO Bodmin; Marshall, Bullock
SIMMONS Nantwich; Tomkinson, Lloyd, Lockett
STRACHAN Portsea; Abercrombie
THYR Gavleborg, Sweden; Wickstrom
BOUMA Friesland; Nauta
WILSON Slievebuck Raphoe Donegal
HOLMES Donaghmore Donegal
GALBRAITH Craighadoes Taughboyne Donegal
ARMOUR Rylands Donegal