Author Topic: Garvey family Dunquin Ireland  (Read 9081 times)

Offline KittyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garvey family Dunquin Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for replying so soon.
I don't have the marriage details.
He had a brother Michael and also one called Sean who was known as Jerry.
I will have another look through the census but I am beginning to wonder if they were hiding when it was done.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
I think it would be an idea to get a birth cert for one of Patrick and Kathleen's children to confirm her maiden name, and follow that up by searching for their marriage.

Once you have the details it should be easier to find the correct families on the census.

Some of the brothers may not have been born by 1911 ... so maybe that's why you cant find the complete family.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KittyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
That does seem to be the best way forward.
I will order Patrick Garvey (jnr) as we seem to have his birthdate.
The only problem I can see, is whether I will get the right Patrick, as it is such a popular name.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
They had Gerry, Patrick and Margaret.
Mr Garvey died in England in Berkshire.

question ... does this refer to the Patrick born 1903 ?
If so could the family have left Kerry by 1911 ?

you didn't mention where the children were born - but if it was in the Dunquin area the registration district will be Dingle

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KittyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
We have a Patrick Garvey born 1902 who was married to Kathleen and their son Patrick who was born 1936.
The 1902/3 Patrick died in Slough. He used to come to England regularly to visit his daughter.
The other Patrick born 1936 died in America a few years ago.
I am not sure there was a brother Gerry because I think this has been muddled up with another relation (Gerry was apparently the brother of the 1902 Patrick).
Patrick 1936 was born in Dunquin and his ex wife told me she went to visit his family in Dunquin in the 1960's.

Offline mgxxxxxx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 January 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello cousin..I am descended from Timothy Garvey of Dunquin..he and his 3 brothers, Dan, Pat and John, ended up in Clermont Iowa in 1855, after working on the canals.  Pat came earlier and was in Canada for a while.  THey had a sister, Mary, who stayed in Ireland..and possibly a sister Ellen who married a Cahalan.  Their father was probably also named Timothy Garvey.

Peig Sayers, well-known Irish author, was from Dunquin but ended up in Blasket Islands.  SHe mentions living next to a house owned by a Michael Garvey in Dunquin, who had a beautiful daughter.  THey died in the famine. 

Many people from the area went to CHicopee, MA, or Springfield.  Also to Butte MOntana to work in the mines. 

There

Offline KittyBoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 January 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks for the message.
Can you let me know how we are related as I am really interested in trying to piece this together.
In September last year, I visited Dingle and went to the house where the Garvey's used to live in Carhue.
I met the lady who owns it now and had tea with her and she showed me round and even had some photos of Gerry Garvey.
It was an amazing time for me as I also got to visit the family grave in Dunquin.
Great hearing from you.